GPU recommendation for mid tier gaming?

Hi all,

I'm mostly going to dedicate higher end gaming to my PS5 when I get one, but I do occasionally play on my PC. I've left it un-upgraded for awhile, mostly revisiting old classics, but it would be nice to still play the occasional game released from the past couple of years (I wouldn't likely being touching brand new first person shooters or large open world games, since that would require me digging deeper in the dollar amount I spend on a new GPU). For instance, I'm really loving the Definitive Editions of the Age of Empires games. I was thinking of getting a GTX 980. What do you think? I wouldn't definitely like it keep it budget minded, around the $300 mark or less if possible

My PC specs are in my signature

Thanks for any advice you can give

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

6 minutes ago, berderder said:

I was thinking of getting a GTX 980

the 4gb of VRAM may be limiting for games today

i'd look at 1070 with 8GB of vram, though the price is kinda off the charts now

GPU power wise, it's pretty nice pairing with your CPU, i wouldnt go higher as it would probably be CPU limited

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

the 4gb of VRAM may be limiting for games today

i'd look at 1070 with 8GB of vram, though the price is kinda off the charts now

GPU power wise, it's pretty nice pairing with your CPU, i wouldnt go higher as it would probably be CPU limited

Willing to accept some game limitations, maybe running max anything that is about 3 years old. And not necessarily heavy duty AAA titles

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Just now, berderder said:

Willing to accept some game limitations, maybe, running max anything that is about 3 years old. And not necessarily heavy duty AAA titles

then it's fine

though i'd look for something newer as efficiency is always nice

980 ~= 1070 ~= 1660 Super ~= 3050(?)

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

then it's fine

though i'd look for something newer as efficiency is always nice

980 ~= 1070 ~= 1660 Super ~= 3050(?)

It's interesting, I'm seeing cards sold from retired crypto mining farms on ebay. A 1070 whose current bid is at $52. Probably a bad idea lol. Who knows how long it would work 

33 minutes ago, berderder said:

It's interesting, I'm seeing cards sold from retired crypto mining farms on ebay. A 1070 whose current bid is at $52. Probably a bad idea lol. Who knows how long it would work 

i wouldnt recommend buying on those "too good to be true" deals

many of them are scams nowadays

as for mining cards, it carries the same risk as any other used card, shop wisely

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

i wouldnt recommend buying on those "too good to be true" deals

many of them are scams nowadays

as for mining cards, it carries the same risk as any other used card, shop wisely

Yeah it looks like for what I want I may be looking in the $300 range

My RX 5600xt has been pretty sweet for $300, unfortunately you can't get even a used one for that price today...but hopefully soon Price's will normalize because what you can get for $300 today probably won't be able to play the latest games by the time costs comes back down...it's a sad time for builder's

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

27 minutes ago, lotus10101 said:

My RX 5600xt has been pretty sweet for $300, unfortunately you can't get even a used one for that price today...but hopefully soon Price's will normalize because what you can get for $300 today probably won't be able to play the latest games by the time costs comes back down...it's a sad time for builder's

I've had nothing but a NVidia card. I know that's a huge discussion in itself AMD vs the other cards, etc. 

15 minutes ago, berderder said:

I've had nothing but a NVidia card. I know that's a huge discussion in itself AMD vs the other cards, etc. 

I've had both, they both have they're up's and downs,but even the Nvidia equivalent is $800 atm...

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~