Xbox Controller on PC

Donut417

Currently I use a Nintendo Switch Pro controller with the Steam controller manager. The issue is it doesn't work on all games. My friend wants me to play No Mans Sky, but my controller refuses to work. I found that for space sims that the controller is necessary for fligh (Elite Dangerous). 

I checked Microsofts website and it seems controllers range from $60 on up. I seen they had a Windows 10 bundle where you get a wireless dongle. But I also read that the controller uses blue tooth. So I wanted to make sure that Microsoft wasn't trying to sell me a Bluetooth receiver as my PC already had built in Bluetooth. OR is the Microsoft receiver some proprietary wireless standard they use? Ive also considered just using the controller wired, but it might be nice to have the option to do both. I just need to know what one Im looking at. My friend was trying to convince me to buy the Razer Xbox controller but I know that Razer has gone down in terms of quality in recent years. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Basically there are two different versions of Xbox One controllers, those that came with the original Xbox One, and those that came with the later One S and One X. The original ones did not have bluetooth, so you would need the adapter to use them with a PC. The later ones did have bluetooth, so those did not require the adapter. Here's how to tell the difference: image.thumb.png.3804d97bd5ee341ef7153d612e5137a6.png

I don't think Microsoft is selling the older ones anymore, but it wouldn't hurt to double check especially if you are considering buying a used one. 

Edited by The_russian

1 minute ago, Cvet76 said:

You don't need to buy an Xbox Controller with a dongle. That dongle costs $20 by itself. If you already have bluetooth on your PC, get a normal controller with a cable, and just put some batteries in it. The cable is detachable anyway.

Thats crazy. Back when I bought a 360 controller with a dongle included it cost the same as a normal controller. Spending 20 bucks on a dongle seems weird to me.  

Just get a series x/s controller. It will work with windows through bluetooth or usb c wired connection.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Any retail Xbox controller now should support Bluetooth and Microsoft's proprietary low latency wireless, built into Xbox consoles. For Windows, you need a dongle to use the wireless, but Bluetooth obviously works with any Bluetooth enabled device.

You can also get a play and charge kit which will let you connect directly via a USB cable.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 minutes ago, Skicardo YT said:

Use some of these they do good on pc

https://scufgaming.com/

Looks expensive. I barely want to spend $60. Only buying a controller because my friend is begging me to play No Man’s Sky. 

Seems like the controller with the USB cable is sold out thru Microsoft and Amazon. So I’ll have to wait for them to come back in to stock. I figure I’ll check Bluetooth for performance, and buy the dongle if Bluetooth does a suck job. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Like @vetalisaid, just get a XBox Series X/S controller. You will need to install XBox Accessories from Microsoft Store for full Bluetooth support. You can use a USB-C cable for wired connection or Bluetooth for wireless connection which uses 2x AA battery.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.