Dead MB, Any Chance of Rebuilding Raid 0?

mikegray

Well, shoot!

My MB died on me - and a very nice MB, too: An Asus Strix x570-e with a ryzen 3700x riding in it. I was running two 1TB SSDs in a Raid 0 array.

I managed to remount the system on a Gigabyte x370 gaming 5 running a ryzen 1700. I'm able to get Windows going, but Windows isn't seeing the Raid 0 array.

For everything that's mission critical, I have backups - but recovering it would be a major hassle. Two questinos:

- What are my chances of saving the Raid 0 array on this MB? Basically ZERO?

- I think I'll be able to get the MB RMA'd. Assuming they replace the broken one with the exact same model MB, will I be able to get my stuff back then, or will a different MB STILL cause problems?

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

Why don't you open a ticket with asus ask them if there is a way to access the raid without the mb?  

I dealt with their technical support only once but they were really helpful. There might be a software utility that would allow you to mount the raid array in software rather than through mb hardware.

38 minutes ago, Vulture78 said:

Why don't you open a ticket with asus ask them if there is a way to access the raid without the mb?  

I dealt with their technical support only once but they were really helpful. There might be a software utility that would allow you to mount the raid array in software rather than through mb hardware.

I'll be contacting them anyway - but since Monday is a holiday in my part of the world, that won't be till Tuesday.

In the meantime: SUCCESS!

I switched from SATA mode to RAID in Bios, DL'd some the MB's Raid drivers, installed RAIDexpert2 - and to my utter shock ... it WORKS!!

I didn't expect it to be that easy. I'm not actually sure whether the Raid 0 array will mount automatically in the future or whether I'll have to mount it manually on re-boot - but basically, I'm a happy camper. This will make rebuilding waaaaay easier.

P.S. Rebooted, and my D drive mounted like a champ. It's like ... PCs have become almost boring. This was supposed to be basically impossible ...

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block