How to make my laptop battery not charge when plugged in?

title is self explanatory I just don't want to make my battery charge while its plugged in btw its not removble

I want to have it connected but make it not charging if that's possible. I had some piece of software that could do it on my old laptop but I don't remember what it's called

Some laptops do this by default once its at 100%. As for forcing this I would imagine that the laptops that can do this would do so by default as well. 

well if its physically unplugged and the power goes out, someone accidentally unplugs the cable etc. it will shut down. If its there but not charging it would just switch to the battery

there is really no reason to have your laptop battery not charge these days..

i've seen some people use some tweak to only charge their laptop battery to 75%, which would help lifespan.. but if you're not thrashing your laptop battery with several charge cycles per day and running it ALL the way into the ground.. your battery will probably outlast the useful lifespan of your laptop these days.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

there is really no reason to have your laptop battery not charge these days..

i've seen some people use some tweak to only charge their laptop battery to 75%, which would help lifespan.. but if you're not thrashing your laptop battery with several charge cycles per day and running it ALL the way into the ground.. your battery will probably outlast the useful lifespan of your laptop these days.

Is it better to keep it plugged in at 100% or unplug it and plug it again when it's low?

Just now, Totoro11 said:

Is it better to keep it plugged in at 100% or unplug it and plug it again when it's low?

theoretically.. best case is to keep it plugged in and not charge past 75%, but if you dont put a lot of cycles into the battery just having it "live" at 100% on the charger is fine.

my dad essentially killed the battery on his laptop by using it on the charger, put it in sleep, unplug it, have the battery run out overnight because sleep mode used a stupid amount of power, plug it in to use it on the charger, rinse and repat..

my own laptop at the time was essentially the same model (except smaller size and higher spec, but same mainboard and battery) and it's lived the "living on a charger" life, only occasionally using it on battery. the battery finally gave the ghost after 6 years, and it was a controller issue, not a cell wear issue. 

There are regularly reports of people with "I always left my laptop plugged in and charged and after 2 years my battery is dead/swollen". Both are bad, you really do want to leave it at 75% or so for best longevity but you can only do that if the laptop provides built-in functionality for that. Most newer/high end ones do but low end models tend not to.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Laptop model?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Laptop model?

everything's in my profile its an Acer Nitro 5

1 minute ago, Totoro11 said:

everything's in my profile its an Acer Nitro 5

don't think Acer has such feature, no luck

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128