Does smart connect switch back to 2.4ghz when 5ghz is too far to be faster?

LOST TALE
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
39 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

Ok but does it re-assign an already connected client?

For a stationary client, it shouldn't.

If that client is moving closer to or away from the AP, it will reassign based on the trigger rules.

What is your concern, exactly?

Does smart connect automatically switch back to 2.4ghz when 5ghz is too far to be faster, or does it just assign the device to the 5ghz or 2.4ghz band and leave it there therafter regardless?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Considering how generic Smart Connect is as a name and the multiple applications/programs using it as a name, could you be more specific in regards to what you're talking about?  Also, what devices are involved?

14 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Considering how generic Smart Connect is as a name and the multiple applications/programs using it as a name, could you be more specific in regards to what you're talking about?  Also, what devices are involved?

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/faq/1012132/

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

17 hours ago, LOST TALE said:

Does smart connect automatically switch back to 2.4ghz when 5ghz is too far to be faster, or does it just assign the device to the 5ghz or 2.4ghz band and leave it there therafter regardless?

That seems to be Asus’ brand of band steering.

As to what the conditions are to trigger band steering, the answer to your question lies in the same link you provided. Scroll down to the bottom of the page that outlines the smart connect rules.

Generally, when band steering is implemented properly, it dynamically assigns client devices to a band based on several conditions. Distance is one (2.4GHz for longer distance, 5GHz for shorter distances).

On 5/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Falcon1986 said:

That seems to be Asus’ brand of band steering.

As to what the conditions are to trigger band steering, the answer to your question lies in the same link you provided. Scroll down to the bottom of the page that outlines the smart connect rules.

Generally, when band steering is implemented properly, it dynamically assigns client devices to a band based on several conditions. Distance is one (2.4GHz for longer distance, 5GHz for shorter distances).

39 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

If that client is moving closer to or away from the AP, it will reassign based on the trigger rules.

46 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

My concern is that I like retaining connection for longer whilst leaving the AP and that it will assign it to 5ghz when its close which is almost always and then I won't get the benefit of 2.4ghz's longer range (though I wonder if it will be longer due to added interference). Nothing there said it would re-assign it so I'm glad I asked and got an answer from you. Do you have experience with being on the edge of 5ghz and do you think it will reliably switch to 2.4ghz for that extra range that 5ghz can't reach?

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

My concern is that I like retaining connection for longer whilst leaving the AP and that it will assign it to 5ghz when its close which is almost always and then I won't get the benefit of 2.4ghz's longer range (though I wonder if it will be longer due to added interference). Nothing there said it would re-assign it so I'm glad I asked and got an answer from you. Do you have experience with being on the edge of 5ghz and do you think it will reliably switch to 2.4ghz for that extra range that 5ghz can't reach?

Honestly, this is the first time I've seen a router allow you to look into the rules it uses and edit them. Most other APs do it in the background automatically... It's just an on/off switch.

What Asus is using is various thresholds that the unit is interpreting to make decisions. You shouldn't have to manipulate anything other than turning it on/off.

I don't tend to worry about band switching at home since I segregate the bands to certain client devices. I don't use the same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz so band steering is essentially disabled. And there's enough coverage using multiple APs for non-stationary devices to not lose connectivity.

I would add that even with Band Steering, the client device decides which WiFi to connect to, also the Client would need to support band steering for it to even work. Otherwise all the router does is try and fake out the device to force it to switch but again it's up to the client device and some devices can be rather sticky and not switch no matter how hard the AP tries. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:27 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Honestly, this is the first time I've seen a router allow you to look into the rules it uses and edit them. Most other APs do it in the background automatically... It's just an on/off switch.

What Asus is using is various thresholds that the unit is interpreting to make decisions. You shouldn't have to manipulate anything other than turning it on/off.

I don't tend to worry about band switching at home since I segregate the bands to certain client devices. I don't use the same SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz so band steering is essentially disabled. And there's enough coverage using multiple APs for non-stationary devices to not lose connectivity.

I was doing separate SSIDs too but decided to change. I wonder if 5ghz gets longer range due to lower interferance?