Can Display Drivers just go bad? (3070 scare)

Go to solution Solved by m9x3mos,
1 hour ago, Mored said:

That's what I thought, but I updated it a few days ago as soon as it came out and also went through multiple cold boots.

Also keep in mind that, just like other data on the computer, can get corrupted for a range of different reasons. If ddu and a clean driver install fixed it, I would lose sleep over it. 

So I just had a pretty big scare with my fairly new 3070; global artficacting (Windows itself) and games crashing on startup. So I quickly manually downloaded the newest driver as well as DDU, and went through the process of fully reinstalling the driver, and it worked - not getting any more artifacts or games crashing.

I'm sorta weirded out as before this happened, I installed the newest nVidia driver which came out a few days ago and also did multiple cold boots (I shutdown my PC after the end of each day), and I didn't apply any overclocks. So I ultimately find it strange that the the display driver managed to just conk out, is there any explanation as to why? I'm just not trying to be joyful, as of course it could happen again and it could be a hardware issue after all.

Usually it has to do with updating. 

A update can kill a driver install from time to time.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Usually it has to do with updating. 

A update can kill a driver install from time to time.

That's what I thought, but I updated it a few days ago as soon as it came out and also went through multiple cold boots.

1 hour ago, Mored said:

Also keep in mind that, just like other data on the computer, can get corrupted for a range of different reasons. If ddu and a clean driver install fixed it, I would lose sleep over it. 

8 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

That's about what I thought, I'll keep this thread updated If I run into the issue again.