Programming and coding classes for kids

Doug_Dangger

Hey folks.

I have a 9 year old whom I don't want playing video games all summer.  I'd like for him to learn programming or coding.  In the meantime he plays Minecraft and Roblox and he's built stuff on his own.

I want something with structure and skills he can build a possible career on.  I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure where to start.  I'd like to hear from those with experience with kids.

I don't mind enrolling him in an online course over the summer.  I'm willing to pay but as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

You can use Tynker for Minecraft, get a Minecraft EDU license?

For Roblox, if you have a PC, let him get Roblox. Roblox Studio uses LUA to make games, and uses CAD to build maps. If his game gets popular enough, he may be eligible to make money from it, if you want

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

6 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

For Roblox, if you have a PC, let him get Roblox. Roblox Studio uses LUA to make games, and uses CAD to build maps. If his game gets popular enough, he may be eligible to make money from it, if you want

i definitley agree with this, i build in roblox studio to test models and my models, coding and slotting cars is deifnitley cool

10 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Hey folks.

I have a 9 year old whom I don't want playing video games all summer.  I'd like for him to learn programming or coding.  In the meantime he plays Minecraft and Roblox and he's built stuff on his own.

I want something with structure and skills he can build a possible career on.  I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure where to start.  I'd like to hear from those with experience with kids.

I don't mind enrolling him in an online course over the summer.  I'm willing to pay but as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

i know that i took this thing where you get a free first class to see if you like it, i cant remember it even when i dream

but first maybe start off with python, there's a lot of tutorials, and dont be me who chose ruby first, but if you like a challenge, get ruby there's like a 8 pt series of ruby coding and it comes with how to to set it up with komodo edit, but yo can just use code kingdom which is like 50 easier to setup as its free and you practically have to do nothing in order to sign in

I'm not a parent, but I might be of some help.

As a kid, my parents enrolled me in week-long programs from iD Tech for a few summers. It's a great resource if you want to test the waters with programming and see what sticks. I took courses in RPG Maker, Intro to Java, and Minecraft Java Programming with Modloader, all of which were excellent.

I'm unsure if the virtual offerings bring the same value, however. The charm of the program was being in-person with other like-minded kids.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

2 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

maybe start off with python

I was told to learn Java first, because the way Python works, you will not learn other languages as well. I don't know of this is true, but I didn't listen and started with Python. At Home, he can learn HTML and CSS, if he likes to do something with the web

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

On 5/21/2021 at 9:58 AM, TheCoder2019 said:

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 12:58 PM, TheCoder2019 said:

I was told to learn Java first, because the way Python works, you will not learn other languages as well. I don't know of this is true, but I didn't listen and started with Python. At Home, he can learn HTML and CSS, if he likes to do something with the web

I learn python first, then went on c++, html css JS PHP, Swift, java 

at my uni python is the first language they make you learn 

• 3 weeks later...

Buy him a raspberry pi computer. He can learn programming(from scratch to python, java, c, html ....) and he will learn more about hardware. 

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2021 at 9:54 AM, Doug_Dangger said:

Hey folks.

Ubisoft made a programming video game with the "Rabbids" intillectual property.

My dad made me do these old "professor teaches" things like Windows & stuff. When I finished it, I got a new video game I wanted.
So maybe if your kid can beat some programming video game levels, he can earn the ability to play video games that evening.

There's a bunch of kid oriented programming video games, so they feel like games, but they're all about logic.
Just have a goal or something of like a couple levels & then that's his "workday" and then he can play the video games he wants to play.
Work for a reward.

EDIT
Codecademy.com is also good.
Not sure if it's suitable for a 9 year old, but HTML is a good start that is very simple.