R9 Fury X causing total system freeze

bkbone

i5 4460
2x 8gb RAM
gigabyte h81 mobo
700w PSU thermaltake (this has been removed now)
sata ssd for boot drive (Windows is NOT installed)
and hhd storage drive

The problem is when i add an R9 Fury x to the system the gpu lights up fans spin and pump turns on and the computer will post and output a display but shortly after will completely freeze up the PC, no errors or anything. I have put the gpu in another completely different system and it worked fine, i have also tried a different gpu (3080) in this system and it works fine. I have reset bios and put in a speaker on the off chance of beep codes (didnt get any). I have also reseated gpu, ram and power connectors, when testing the power usage from the wall never went above 150W.

I have tried 2x better psu (corsair rm and cx), tried differnet memory configs. I also swapped to psu from the known working system into the non working one and i had the same freezeing eveytime after post and bios. 

I posted about this a couple of days ago in the toms hardware forum, did get a bit of help from one fella. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/r9-fury-x-causing-total-system-freeze.3704302/

Any ideas of what could be going on here?

Is this the watercooled one? If so all of these are defective now due to evaporation. It's a design flaw and that causes failure due to temperature issues.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Is this the watercooled one? If so all of these are defective now due to evaporation. It's a design flaw and that causes failure due to temperature issues.

It is and that sounds like it would kinda make sense if the card was underload right? But this is just finishing initilizing the bios and freezeing. I could be wrong but i seems unlikey that the card could heat up enough to cause problems in the 10 seconds that its been switched on and freezes. Also it runs in other systems and does fine in stress tests (doesnt get above 71c)

9 minutes ago, bkbone said:

It is and that sounds like it would kinda make sense if the card was underload right? But this is just finishing initilizing the bios and freezeing. I could be wrong but i seems unlikey that the card could heat up enough to cause problems in the 10 seconds that its been switched on and freezes. Also it runs in other systems and does fine in stress tests (doesnt get above 71c)

Hmm. It could also simply be the case of the typical fury x hates lower end motherboards with lower end power deliveries. It is a pretty picky card in that regard and was rare to begin with so not much has been done to fix that problem. It could simply be that it just doesn't like your board as it has done with others. It is not a unknown issue.