Should I stream using my CPU or GPU with these specs?

Go to solution Solved by JamesTheFolf,
4 minutes ago, PinkyPink said:

I have a GTX 760, 16GB Ram, and an i5-10400f. Should I stream using my GPU or CPU?

I'd say to stream using your CPU, cause your GPU isn't super powerful and if you are streaming games your GPU will be pretty tied up with that. Honestly tho you would have to do a little bit of trial and error to find the best balance of settings.

I have a GTX 760, 16GB Ram, and an i5-10400f. Should I stream using my GPU or CPU?

4 minutes ago, PinkyPink said:

I'd say to stream using your CPU, cause your GPU isn't super powerful and if you are streaming games your GPU will be pretty tied up with that. Honestly tho you would have to do a little bit of trial and error to find the best balance of settings.

Live streaming is typically CPU dependent. A 6 core is likely enough to handle it, especially considering your GPU is not especially great by today's standards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

People, the chip responsible for video encoding/decoding is an asic apart from the actual GPU core that renders your game. Basic streaming using the GPU won't affect the performance in games. With that said...

23 minutes ago, PinkyPink said:

Your GPU has an older NVENC, and the quality isn't that good when compared to CPU encoding at medium/fast presets. Give it a try and see if it's good enough for you. If so, great! If not, try CPU encoding with different presets until you achieve a nice balance between quality and usage/game impact.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 hours ago, igormp said:

People, the chip responsible for video encoding/decoding is an asic apart from the actual GPU core that renders your game. Basic streaming using the GPU won't affect the performance in games. With that said...

Your GPU has an older NVENC, and the quality isn't that good when compared to CPU encoding at medium/fast presets. Give it a try and see if it's good enough for you. If so, great! If not, try CPU encoding with different presets until you achieve a nice balance between quality and usage/game impact.

That version of NVENC is worthless to stream with, as soon as you start playing the game. Like you'll start streaming and only the key frames will end up being sent. 

Like sure, you could probably configure it in a way that it's functional, but you'll probably be limited to 720p streaming.

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

That version of NVENC is worthless to stream with, as soon as you start playing the game. Like you'll start streaming and only the key frames will end up being sent. 

Like sure, you could probably configure it in a way that it's functional, but you'll probably be limited to 720p streaming.

Right, I forgot the 760 is a Kepler GPU, so 1st gen nvenc.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Depends what you are gonna stream, but I would say better to use CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a 750 Ti with a 5600x and have found that CPU encoding seems to perform better. But so does disabling hardware acceleration in a few other places too, like Discord.