In search of a new mouse - overwhelmed by the choices - recommendation please

CommandAndCompute

I need to buy a new mouse. I currently use a 15 year old wireless logitech office mouse.

Half of it's gliding pads are gone, it has both the doubleclick bug and sometimes drops stuff prematurely when dragging and dropping. It's time to part ways.

I bought it 15 years ago from birthday money, because it was available at the nearest store.

First time I actually want to make an informed choice and I am overwhelmed by the choices.

Maybe someone can help me bring order to the chaos and knows what I am looking for.

My dream mouse would be:

- working 3 ways (bluetooth, 2,4GHz USB Dongle, and wired)

- using standard issue AA rechargeable batteries

- in a perfect world it would have an integrated charger (I think my brother once had one, but we don't remember the model, but it was a logitech gaming variant)

The good thing is, I don't care all that much about gaming. I play a GTA Storyline once a year over the Christmas Holidays, and the rest of the time it doesn't get any crazier than online bullet chess. DPI, Polling Rate, E-Sports weight distribution, mechanical or optical switches, a dozen extra buttons. I am willing to put all these things at prirorities 3 and 4 after the functionalities I mentioned of course an attractive price.

Can anyone recommend me something?

Look into Logitech lightspeed mousepad and compatible mouse. I have the 703 and it's wonderful for a right handed user. There is also a 502 lightspeed module but at the end of the day, your mousepad wireless charges the mouse. It does not meet all  your connectivity requirements however. Just throwing that out there!

Thank your for your answer.

The 703 though does really not fit most of my requirements. It is full on RGB gamer crazy but only connects one way, and worst of all, it uses integrated Li-Ion batteries. That's the thing I am really trying to avoid. I am already angry enough at phone manufacturers, I don't need anymore integrated Li-Ion's. And it's quite expensive. The same applies to the 502.

Edit: I found something that nearly fits perfectly:
If there was a Logitech G603 that additionally works both wired and could charge it's two AA Batteries via USB, that would be bullseye. No RGB, no spaceage design. Just pure functionality and decent quality.

6 minutes ago, CommandAndCompute said:

Thank your for your answer.

The 703 though does really not fit most of my requirements. It is full on RGB gamer crazy but only connects one way, and worst of all, it uses integrated Li-Ion batteries. That's the thing I am really trying to avoid. I am already angry enough at phone manufacturers, I don't need anymore integrated Li-Ion's. And it's quite expensive. The same applies to the 502.

Edit: I found something that nearly fits perfectly:
If there was a Logitech G603 that additionally works both wired and could charge it's two AA Batteries via USB, that would be bullseye. No RGB, no spaceage design. Just pure functionality and decent quality.

1) the 703 has a RGB logo, you can turn off the LED's or create a static color.

2) the 703 although it doesn't use AA batteries, would never need to be plugged in or have batteries replaced as it is always wirelessly charging.

3) if you really don't want something like this, the logitech M510 is what I used to use at work until i got the Mx Master, and it uses 2 AA batteries, just get a charging station off amazon and order 4 rechargeable batteries total, so you always have some fully loaded.

Maybe others have some better recommendations but I've always been happy with logitech mice.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The g604 seems to be a good bet.

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't see what it adds to the G603 though other than more money for less battery life.

8 minutes ago, NinJake said:

1) the 703 has a RGB logo, you can turn off the LED's or create a static color.

2) the 703 although it doesn't use AA batteries, would never need to be plugged in or have batteries replaced as it is always wirelessly charging.

That seems incredibly wasteful. And even then, a couple of years down the line the batteries are going to be dead, especially if they are always being charged. And I want to keep them 10 plus years if possible.

9 minutes ago, NinJake said:

3) if you really don't want something like this, the logitech M510 is what I used to use at work until i got the Mx Master, and it uses 2 AA batteries,

I will look into it.

1 minute ago, CommandAndCompute said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't see what it adds to the G603 though other than more money for less battery life.

That seems incredibly wasteful. And even then, a couple of years down the line the batteries are going to be dead, especially if they are always being charged. And I want to keep them 10 plus years if possible.

I will look into it.

The mx master line is also very very good but it does not do a wired connection or have AA batteries. They are however pretty easy with replacing the built in ones. It is a more ergonomic mouse and I personally like that a lot about it.

The g604 is basically just a quality of life update over the g603 so yeah get whichever.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The g604 is basically just a quality of life update over the g603 so yeah get whichever.

I hear you. And I want to believe you. But I have read the product pages of both a couple of times now and I fail to see it.

4 minutes ago, CommandAndCompute said:

I hear you. And I want to believe you. But I have read the product pages of both a couple of times now and I fail to see it.

Yeah so get whichever is cheaper. I also don't see a reason to get the new one over the old one if the old one is cheaper.

I looked into the M510. I think I am using one of its predecessors. Or actually an older 510. It looks very similar in and has the same functionality. My modelname is rubbed of though after 10000 hours or more of use. For now I think the 603 might be it, if I don't find anything that works wired/charges it's AA itself. I am just looking into how bad the scroll wheel bug really is.

4 hours ago, CommandAndCompute said:

I need to buy a new mouse. I currently use a 15 year old wireless logitech office mouse.

Half of it's gliding pads are gone, it has both the doubleclick bug and sometimes drops stuff prematurely when dragging and dropping. It's time to part ways.

I bought it 15 years ago from birthday money, because it was available at the nearest store.

First time I actually want to make an informed choice and I am overwhelmed by the choices.

Maybe someone can help me bring order to the chaos and knows what I am looking for.

My dream mouse would be:

- working 3 ways (bluetooth, 2,4GHz USB Dongle, and wired)

- using standard issue AA rechargeable batteries

- in a perfect world it would have an integrated charger (I think my brother once had one, but we don't remember the model, but it was a logitech gaming variant)

The good thing is, I don't care all that much about gaming. I play a GTA Storyline once a year over the Christmas Holidays, and the rest of the time it doesn't get any crazier than online bullet chess. DPI, Polling Rate, E-Sports weight distribution, mechanical or optical switches, a dozen extra buttons. I am willing to put all these things at prirorities 3 and 4 after the functionalities I mentioned of course an attractive price.

Can anyone recommend me something?

Amazon.com: Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed Wireless Gaming Mouse: Bluetooth & Wireless Compatible, 16K DPI Optical Sensor, 6 Programmable Buttons, 450 Hr Battery, Classic Black: Computers & Accessories

Hyperspeed has an AA battery, can connect via the dongle and/or bluetooth, Ultimate has all three methods of connection and a "wireless" charger where you can just place it on a dock to change. Not totally sure what you mean by an integrated charger, however. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

50 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Hyperspeed has an AA battery, can connect via the dongle and/or bluetooth, Ultimate has all three methods of connection and a "wireless" charger where you can just place it on a dock to change. Not totally sure what you mean by an integrated charger, however. 

The razer products are very premium in price though. And I don't see how the Ultimate has all three methods. But I will keep looking into it.

With integrated charger I mean the ability to both work with AA 1,2 rechargeable batteries AND being able to charge them in the mouse via USB. The best of both worlds.

I'll save you the searching - you won't find an off-the-shelf product that can charge via USB and uses AA batteries. The closest mice to meeting your criteria are the Razer Orochi v2, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed and Logitech G603, which have everything except the wired connection.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:42 PM, TheChromaBristlenose said:

I'll save you the searching - you won't find an off-the-shelf product that can charge via USB and uses AA batteries.

I am sure this is well meant. But it is just well meant unsubstantiated nonsense. For example, the Logitech Performance Mouse MX used to do it. But it's not available anymore, right now. The more gaming centric mouse my brother had did it. So you can only really save me the searching if you had done it yourself, which you didn't.