What kind of sound card does X99A GODLIKE GAMING have? (Do I need additional sound card to use a proper microphon?)

Gomp

Hey. I got cam and all I need to stream. But the sound quality for my mic is poor. (Using the Logitech G933 built in mic.)

I have X99A GODLIKE GAMING motherboard. It says it has built in soundcard. But I do not understand what kind it is. 

Do I need to buy an external sound card? Or do I already have what I need to plug in  a great microphon? 

One can see pictures of the IO here if that helps in  any way: https://www.eteknix.com/msi-x99a-godlike-gaming-review/2/ .. 

Specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-GODLIKE-GAMING/Specification ..

Edited by Gomp
Spelling mistake.

For regular use the onboard sound will be fine. Its just a realtek 1150 codec on some random audio chipset. Its plenty for just about anything short of studio quality recording and playback, or if you need specific i/o besides 3.5mm and spdif.

If you need more than that connectivity wise, then maybe look into a dedicated sound card.

Does i.e. XLR require a soundcard? Or is that not connection? 

Sorry if I ask stupidly. But I really do not know these terms. 🙂 I am Norwegian to boot. So there is somewhat of a language barrier at times too. 😉

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the fast reply and the info! 

13 minutes ago, Gomp said:

Sorry if I ask stupidly. But I really do not know these terms. 🙂 I am Norwegian to boot. So there is somewhat of a language barrier at times too. 😉

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the fast reply and the info! 

XLR is a connector type. It's prevalent throughout the audio sphere, but you can get USB mics that do not require a DAC interface. XLR will require an interface, something like the MOTU M2 or the Scarlett Solo as two examples.

XLR will look like this:
3Gs9qPG.png

For example:
AT2020 USB: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at2020-usb
AT2020 XLR: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at2020

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 minutes ago, Gomp said:

But the G933 is a wireless headphone, there's no benefit of going to XLR if your native connection (the one that manufacturer uses out of the box)is not XLR in the first place.

imo G933 microphone IS mediocre and not much can fix it. It sounds like a tin can telephone. If you want better audio then you do  wanna have a look at XLR microphones, a shure SM58 with a behringer UM2 amplifier is a good starting pot of XLR mics.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Yeah, I am not going to use the G933 crap mic. I wonder what I need to buy a good one. 

I want the best of the best when I first buy one. But I do not shit money though. 😉 So I will need to find a blance. 

Been looking at USB mics. But it seems the way to go is to spend a little more and go with XLR .. But it is a jungle of terms out there, and I do not really know what is what. 

But if I go for a XLR mic. I will need a dedicated sound card, and a DAC, right? 🙂 

Other option is to just get a mic with 3.5 mm jack or one with USB? 

8 minutes ago, Gomp said:

Yeah, I am not going to use the G933 crap mic. I wonder what I need to buy a good one. 

I want the best of the best when I first buy one. But I do not shit money though. 😉 So I will need to find a blance. 

Been looking at USB mics. But it seems the way to go is to spend a little more and go with XLR .. But it is a jungle of terms out there, and I do not really know what is what. 

But if I go for a XLR mic. I will need a dedicated sound card, and a DAC, right? 🙂 

Other option is to just get a mic with 3.5 mm jack or one with USB? 

If you want to run a XLR mic you want to buy a audio interface. The most popular one is the Scarlett 2i2. I personally have my eye in the audient id4 mk2 cause I like the features more for not that much more Money than the Scarlett. 

7 minutes ago, rice guru said:

If you want to run a XLR mic you want to buy a audio interface. The most popular one is the Scarlett 2i2. I personally have my eye in the audient id4 mk2 cause I like the features more for not that much more Money than the Scarlett. 

Does the audio interface then plug in to the mothercard via the built in sound card? 🙂 Or is that USB too?  

28 minutes ago, Gomp said:

Does the audio interface then plug in to the mothercard via the built in sound card? 🙂 Or is that USB too?  

Depends on the interface and what output(s) it supports.

The two I linked in my previous post will output to USB.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Worth noting that internal soundcards have built in DAC's and I do not know of one that has an XLR input. An audio interface is an all-in-one package, featuring a mic input, headphone amp, and usually a DAC that is separate from your case, meaning that if your onboard has an issue with electrical noise an audio interface should fix that issue. 

Sound cards are IMO kind of a waste these days, especially if you get an audio interface as most audio interfaces that can record 24 bit audio (Behringer UM202HD, any of Focusrite's Scarlett stuff) also have a headphone amp with enough power to handle headphones that are on the harder end to drive (I have a buddy with HD 6XX plugged into a scarlett solo with zero issues, which are 300 ohm headphones while the average gaming headset is anywhere from 30-50) 

If The Flying Sloth sees this he will probably recommend the Behringer UM202HD and the Behringer C1 microphones, which i will set you back like 150 at most and is a pretty solid combo. Especially if you ever need to record someone else who is sitting with you, as the C1 comes with 2 microphones and the UM202HD has 2 places to plug in a Microphone.