Do I replace the thermal paste on my GPU?

HamsterMosh
Go to solution Solved by AlwaysFSX,
33 minutes ago, HamsterMosh said:

around 80-85 while playing Warframe on the lowest setting possible (excluding anti-aliasing on max TAA x8.)

AA cranked up is pretty hard to run (and you're well past diminishing returns for your monitor at that setting, in the first place), and your card is trying to run at 1440p and make as many frames as it can. I'd suspect your card is running at full usage and it's just running the way it's supposed to.

Note: 85C is definitely very, very warm, but your card isn't running hot.

Hello,

I am running an RX580 Strix OC on a 144hz 1440p monitor, alongside a standard 60hz 1080p monitor. I have noticed that it's getting very hot, around 80-85 while playing Warframe on the lowest setting possible (excluding anti-aliasing on max TAA x8.) Unplugging my 1080p doesn't effect temps other than my idle temps. Without the 1080p monitor the GPU sits at around 30-40 degrees but with it, I get around 50-60. Note that I haven't always owned this 1440p 144hz monitor and my GPU might not be made for that refresh rate. But I just can't understand how it runs that hot, even at the lowest video settings, so I thought about changing the thermal paste. I bought the card roughly around march 2019. I also leave the fan curve on stock. It stays at around 1450 RPM when hitting 80 degrees, it gets very very loud if I change the fan curve myself. 

Info that may be useful:

1. My room is around 18 degrees Celsius
  2. I have a Corsair Crystal 680x with two extra fans on the bottom
  3. Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
  4. 8gb ram 2400mhz
  5. BeQuiet 600w gold PSU

Have you Tried running Just the 1080p monitor and checking the temps during Idle and games? if it runs fine then the gpu just cant handle the 1440p 144hz very well. if it doesnt, then try the thermal paste.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

33 minutes ago, HamsterMosh said:

around 80-85 while playing Warframe on the lowest setting possible (excluding anti-aliasing on max TAA x8.)

AA cranked up is pretty hard to run (and you're well past diminishing returns for your monitor at that setting, in the first place), and your card is trying to run at 1440p and make as many frames as it can. I'd suspect your card is running at full usage and it's just running the way it's supposed to.

25 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I turned down the AA and the temps started settling down to 60-65, thank you.