thermal conductivity of vantablack/blk3.0 paint

Sparky_Purton1705

hey all first post so here goes nothing...

While watching a Kyle hill video on YouTube earlier he was explaining how the vantablack/blk3.0 works, He went onto explain the thermal conductivity of the paint which got me thinking... How well would the most light/heat absorbent paint currently in existence work as heat paste?

If it's meant to transfer roughly 97.7%(I think) of light/heat radiation surely it should work as a good heat conductor, but would it pass the heat to an adequate cooler or just trap it between the cpu and cooler?

Thanks for reading and look forward to the responses

34 minutes ago, Sparky_Purton1705 said:

hey all first post so here goes nothing...

While watching a Kyle hill video on YouTube earlier he was explaining how the vantablack/blk3.0 works, He went onto explain the thermal conductivity of the paint which got me thinking... How well would the most light/heat absorbent paint currently in existence work as heat paste?

If it's meant to transfer roughly 97.7%(I think) of light/heat radiation surely it should work as a good heat conductor, but would it pass the heat to an adequate cooler or just trap it between the cpu and cooler?

Thanks for reading and look forward to the responses

I'm not technical enough to explain it properly, but in principle it likely wouldn't work very well. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

I’m not versed in the thermal conductivity of Vantablack, however, it is almost assuredly quite capable of absorbing thermal radiation, apparently including infrared. 

If the material can safely be used under daylight without destroying itself, I can probably infer that it’s thermal conductivity is ok-ish so as to readily transfer heat to another material. If it does, in fact, absorb infrared, I hypothesize that it shouldn’t be easily visible by FLIR thermal cameras as well. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Heat conduction and Heat emission/absorption are not the same thing.

Heat conduction is about transferring heat energy through matter, ergo, how well do the vibrating atoms transfer their vibration to their neighbors. Diamond is an excellent conductor for this reason, as the atoms are so tightly bonded. However it's terrible at heat capture or emission.

Heat emission and absorption is about how to transfer the vibrations into electromagnetic radiation or visa versa. So atoms with subatomic make up and structures that resonate and work well with electromagnetic radiation are better emitters and absorbers.

vantablack is excellent at absorbing visible light. Not emitting it. Not conducting it. This property is useless in your computer where you need to conduct heat away from silicon and emit /conduct it into the environment around it.

10 hours ago, Amias said:

Heat conduction and Heat emission/absorption are not the same thing.

Heat conduction is about transferring heat energy through matter, ergo, how well do the vibrating atoms transfer their vibration to their neighbors. Diamond is an excellent conductor for this reason, as the atoms are so tightly bonded. However it's terrible at heat capture or emission.

Heat emission and absorption is about how to transfer the vibrations into electromagnetic radiation or visa versa. So atoms with subatomic make up and structures that resonate and work well with electromagnetic radiation are better emitters and absorbers.

vantablack is excellent at absorbing visible light. Not emitting it. Not conducting it. This property is useless in your computer where you need to conduct heat away from silicon and emit /conduct it into the environment around it.

Yah it’s too bad because a vantablack cpu cooler would be so cool. (I mean you could still do it just wouldn’t do anything special) maybe that’s a video idea a vantablack pc. Hmm. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard