GPU Clock drops under load

slitheringGuy

I have gtx 1660 with normal clock speed 1530 mhz, and earlier when i used to play games it used to increase to 1920 mhz, but recently i have noticed that when i am in lobby the clock speed is 1920 mhz and as soon as  i start playing it goes down to 1530 mhz, i even tried overclocking but same behaviour there, 

GPU boost clock is dependent on 3 variables:

- power draw

- temperature

- voltage

It will boost until limits in either of those 3 are reached, then it will clock down.

It is possible your GPU is getting warmer under load, so the clock speed drops. What are your temperatures under load? You may need to blow the dust out of your GPU cooler if temps are too high. You can also adjust the fan profile to be more aggressive (fan ramps up quicker = louder).

Also try setting power limit to 110% in MSI afterburner, see if that helps.

59 minutes ago, slitheringGuy said:

I have gtx 1660 with normal clock speed 1530 mhz, and earlier when i used to play games it used to increase to 1920 mhz, but recently i have noticed that when i am in lobby the clock speed is 1920 mhz and as soon as  i start playing it goes down to 1530 mhz, i even tried overclocking but same behaviour there, 

my first thought would be that it is getting too hot. generally if a gpu gets too close to its max temps it will drop to stock clock speeds to reduce thermal load. considering it is a 1660 i cant imaging the thermal paste is too bad but it cant hurt to repaste the die and clean out the cooler and see what happens.

1 hour ago, herb said:

my first thought would be that it is getting too hot. generally if a gpu gets too close to its max temps it will drop to stock clock speeds to reduce thermal load. considering it is a 1660 i cant imaging the thermal paste is too bad but it cant hurt to repaste the die and clean out the cooler and see what happens.

I don't think replacing thermal paste will make a significant difference. Unless the cooler is not making proper contact somehow, it is not worth it.

I would never recommend a novice take apart a GPU to repaste it. The chance that they break something while taking it apart is not unlikely. Unless you are experienced and confident in what you are doing, I would just blow out the dust and leave it alone. Also voids your warranty probably.

watch this, grab some monitoring software as suggested, and check thermals, fan curve, etc.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

I don't think replacing thermal paste will make a significant difference. Unless the cooler is not making proper contact somehow, it is not worth it.

I would never recommend a novice take apart a GPU to repaste it. The chance that they break something while taking it apart is not unlikely. Unless you are experienced and confident in what you are doing, I would just blow out the dust and leave it alone. Also voids your warranty probably.

computer hardware is rather resilient to breakage. as long as you dont slip with a screw driver and your giving a light amount of care there is no way you could break it. not even tightening the screws too much could break it because they probably have springs that would stop anything like that. i would 100% trust a novice to take apart a gpu and repaste and not break anything.  that is assuming its one of those cards with only 4 screws but even if it had more the process is the same.. also dried paste even if it has perfect contact would cause a bottleneck.