Is 13 fan's in a gaming pc overkill?

kenway83

The short answer is NO, Just because the 3 extra fan's I've added have made a difference in temps. The extra's being  CPU, VRM's and NorthBridge Fan's.

All the fan's are 4 pin and controlled with Speed Fan through the 3 onboard headers, it's a very quite system when I'm not gaming.

My system;

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.5Ghz OC

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

Two 8GB 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Savage @ 2133 10, 11, 11, 28, 39 OC

MSI RX 580 @ 1420Mhz OC

Cooler Master GT 750watt bronze PSU

2000GB HHD for games I'm not playing

250GB SSD for games I am playing

Two 250GB M.2 Sata SSD's in Raid 0 for the system

The Layout and Idle speed;

1 120mm in the PSU 

2 80MM on the GPU @ 20%

2 90mm on the CPU blowing to the back @ 60%

1 80mm for the Northbridge pulling air away from the motherboard @ 50%

1 60mm for the VRM pulling air away from the motherboard @ 50%

6 120mm on the Case, 4 in filted (top front, front and bottom) and 2 out unfilted (top back and back) @ 40%

Idle Temps;

CPU 19c

GPU 26c

NB 43c

Max Temps;

CPU 59c

GPU 65c

NB 62c

It would be very intresting to hear what other's have done to keep them nasty Temps down.

Yes. Anyone who uses that many fans is out of their minds.

Spoiler

2102030302212102032102032102030302212L1A9950-Edit.thumb.jpg.25c16439020b1086c48de57476b9cc51.jpg

2102070702212102072102072102070702212L1A0019-Edit.thumb.jpg.c25c0ffaa14b0e58af91051bffa49ec3.jpg

Most of us dont even count fans on GPU and PSU. If you were to tell me you had 13 case fans, then answer would be different.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

😆🤣😍

I love that Den-Fi, I wounder what sort of temps you get from that?

Ye I get that Levent, I just like the idea I have 13 fan's 😎

GPU fans don't count. Also fans don't produce air, they take air from one place and move it to another. This case manufacturer didn't know this and mounted fans on solid metal and tried to blow air. 12 fans pre-installed, all super high quality, and zero airflow because there was no may to bring cool air in: 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

2 minutes ago, kenway83 said:

😆🤣😍

I love that, I wounder what sort of temps you get from that?

I've quite literally never seen the GPU go over 48C under load.

Nathanpete ye I've seen that one, what I don't get is why build a case if you know nothing about airflow 🤣

Den-Fi 48c under load is bloody good, I will have to try water cooling as it's something I have'nt tried yet.

Is it really worth doing?

2 hours ago, kenway83 said:

Den-Fi 48c under load is bloody good, I will have to try water cooling as it's something I have'nt tried yet.

Hey just make sure to quote others using the arrow beneath their post, or directly mention them like this @Den-Fi@Nathanpete@Levent

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 hours ago, kenway83 said:

Worth it? To me, yes.

For literally most other users? Not at all.

It's expensive and a pain in the butt.

I love the process and the end result, but performance per dollar is absolutely abysmal.

To quote users so that they are notified of your reply:

quote.PNG.3131bf494c233b9e9751b3729e9830b2.PNG

I have 12 case fans inside my case, 7-120mm intakes and 5-120mm exhausts. My temperatures are pretty reasonable, for what I like to do with it. 

When I'm gaming, the CPU will sit between 50-60oC, with the GPU below 57oC. At idle, the CPU will be around 30-35oC and the GPU sits below 40oC. Kinda overkill for me, but it fills out the rest of the case. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

13 hours ago, Slottr said:

Hey just make sure to quote others using the arrow beneath their post, or directly mention them like this @Den-Fi@Nathanpete@Levent

@Slottr thank you for telling me, I was'nt aware.

13 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Worth it? To me, yes.

For literally most other users? Not at all.

It's expensive and a pain in the butt.

I love the process and the end result, but performance per dollar is absolutely abysmal.

To quote users so that they are notified of your reply:

quote.PNG.3131bf494c233b9e9751b3729e9830b2.PNG

@Den-Fi thank you for the response.

That's what I thought but I must admit I do like the look of a custom water loop and would love to try it oneday.

The only thing I wonder about is if the rad is at the front it pushes hot air in to the system but if it's at the back then the systems hot air go's through the rad, is there a way around this?

13 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

I have 12 case fans inside my case, 7-120mm intakes and 5-120mm exhausts. My temperatures are pretty reasonable, for what I like to do with it. 

When I'm gaming, the CPU will sit between 50-60oC, with the GPU below 57oC. At idle, the CPU will be around 30-35oC and the GPU sits below 40oC. Kinda overkill for me, but it fills out the rest of the case. 

@SpiderMan They are some good gaming temps. What are your CPU and GPU?

Idle seems high but you must have your fans on low RPM? 

Nope not overkill.. some cases can hold a lot of fans, and not many people enjoy noise.. so plugging a bunch of quiet fans in would be ok to me. Before RGB, the noise is how I knew my pc was still running, or if I heard the fan speed dip I know it crashed 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

56 minutes ago, kenway83 said:

@SpiderMan They are some good gaming temps. What are your CPU and GPU?

Idle seems high but you must have your fans on low RPM? 

i9-10980XE and RTX 2080. I have a lot of different turbo ratios set to the cores to keep temps down as some cores overclock better than other cores. If I were to raise the ratios higher on the other cores, temps would go higher, at least during Prime95/Cinebench R23 runs or just automatically crash. If I wanted to get more out of the chip, I'd go with water cooling but I'm still hesitant about water cooling. That thermosiphon would probably work better but I have a new case coming soon and it won't fit. 

The fans on the GPU are 0RPM below 40 so I let it passively cool. The case fans sit around 700-800RPM at idle. Under load, all case fans go to 100% at 55oC.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"