Which mid-range cpu cooler is better?

JaaaaAAaaaaY

Right now, I am considering buying a cpu cooler and throw away the intel cooler. I have look at some and find interested but don't know which one is better, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo, Noctua NH-D9L or NH-U12A. Can anyone tell me their pros and cons?

My setup is:

CPU: i5-10400

motherboard: GIGABYTE H410M H

I also want to leave some head rooms for future upgrading on either the cpu or the motherboard.

Personally I will choose Noctua. Because if you want to upgrade your motherboard in the future, it's pretty hard to get new mounting parts from Cooler Master.

The 212 is cheaper, and yes, it's got RGB, but if you want to get a similar performance as Noctua, you have to ramp up fan speed, resulting a bigger noise. But if the price difference is big enough for you to upgrade other parts(like adding more RAM), then feel free to buy 212.

Hyper 212 EVO should not be on the same price class as both of theose Noctua coolers.

It is a really well performing for a budget option, but it's price has been growing.

That said, it probably would cool that CPU, Noctua cooler would most likely be quieter though.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, Downkey said:

I would think the stock cooler is good enough?

Here are the two best options imo - 
$35 - ID-COOLING SE-224-XT 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler (SE-224-XT BLACK) - PCPartPicker
$60 - Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (SCFM-2000) - PCPartPicker

What do you think about that black stock cooler? I heard it pretty sick but I don't know how to get it. Is that a limited edition or something?

Just now, melon_29 said:

What do you think about that black stock cooler? I heard it pretty sick but I don't know how to get it. Is that a limited edition or something?

those come with the new 11th gen CPUS. They aren't a big improvement thermally so they aren't worth it.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, Downkey said:

those come with the new 11th gen CPUS. They aren't a big improvement thermally so they aren't worth it.

At lest it looks better than the previous one LOL

Hyper 212 is junk, should not be used in the same sentence as Noctua.. If the 212 was half its price.. then yeah maybe..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Are you not satisfied with your current cooler? The i5-10400 is fairly easy to cool and any of them would be plenty for cooling. They're not the same class of coolers though.

You can see relative performance here: 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

36 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you not satisfied with your current cooler? The i5-10400 is fairly easy to cool and any of them would be plenty for cooling. They're not the same class of coolers though.

You can see relative performance here: 

The fan gets ramp up when I am gaming, and the noise start to really annoyed me

After seeing you guys comments and thoughts, I think I am gonna go for the NH-D9L, because I don't have any plans for overclocking and the i5 line up is more than enough for my use cases (though I'm interested in trying out AMD, but that's another topic of the day). Thank you guys!!!

9 minutes ago, JaaaaAAaaaaY said:

The fan gets ramp up when I am gaming, and the noise start to really annoyed me

What are load temps? Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.