Can you please solve 15+ years of frustration I've had with Microsoft Word... (ctrl + backspace)

Hi all, 

I've been plagued by this issue for nearly fifteen years. It may seem minor, but when you're typing hundreds and thousands of words a day, it becomes incredibly frustrating. If anyone could help, I would be in your debt. 

Issue: at some point roughly fifteen years ago, Microsoft Word altered the "ctrl + backspace" command. Prior to the change, ctrl + backspace deleted the preceding word only. About fifteen years ago, they changed it so that hitting ctrl + backspace deletes the preceding word and the preceding space

Unfortunately, try as I might, I have never become accustom to this. Whenever I am typing and want to delete the prior word, I hit ctrl + backspace, expecting only the preceding word to be deleted. I then begin typing the next word, only to see that I should have started by hitting spacebar instead. For example, let's say I type "this is incredibly frustrating," and I want to delete the word frustrating and replace it with annoying. I hit ctrl + backspace, expecting only the word "frustrating" to be deleted. I then begin typing, and it looks like this: "this is incrediblyannoying." In other words, Word no longer just deletes "frustrating" but deletes "_frustrating." I then have to press the delete key several times, hit space, and resume. While this may seem minor, it happens hundreds of times a day (I guess I delete a lot of words...) and it's gotten bad enough that I think I should reach out for tech support. 

If anyone has any info on this, literally you may have solved a 15 year problem for me and I would greatly appreciate it. 

Word with default settings here, ctrl-backspace doesn't delete the space...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Also with default settings, Office 365. Ctrl+backspace doesn't delete preceding space. Though, if you use this to replace single word, you could also use ctrl-shift-arrow to select the word.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 4:34 PM, Kilrah said:

Word with default settings here, ctrl-backspace doesn't delete the space...

I've double, triple, and quadrupole checked and it does. I can tell you, specifically, it is different typing here in this forum than on word. Here, when I hit control+backspace, only the prior word is deleted. The space is not. This is not the case in Word and I haven't edited anything. 

If you have any recommendations, I AM DESPERATE to hear them.