2012 Lenovo thinkcentre edge 72

Whyleonhart

Will it support a modern nvidia graphics card with rtx?

Specs:

Core i3 3240 55W Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz 3MB 2C LGA

8gb SODIMM memory

500gb HDD

2 pcie x1

1 pcie x16

Don't bother putting any RTX card in there, it will be severely bottlenecked by that CPU. Not to mention that the HDD will also slow it down, and the 8GB of RAM.

If you have the money and want an RTX card, buy a prebuilt from somewhere like Cyberpower PC, where they offer CPUs and GPUs that pair well together.

That machine could work as a low end gaming machine if you can find a low profile, cheap, used graphics card, like a 1050, but do not waste your money putting a high powered GPU in there, as it will not work well.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

This system is too weak for current games no matter the gpu.

Can a rtx card work? Maybe. What needs to happen for it to work is:

- Not be the sff version of the pc

- Upgrade the psu which is nearly impossible due to the current one using proprietary connectors

- Upgrade the airflow in the case

- Make sure the card can even fit

That is besides upgrading your whole pc as it is not a gaming capable device as is for modern games no mater the graphics card. It is simply put too weak and underspecced.

I’m trying to use my computer for the development of games and I am trying to find a reasonable graphics card. I’m planning on upgrading the cpu to an i7 quad core processor 3.4 GHz and adding an SSD or an SSHD. All I need to find is a gpu to work with it.

1 minute ago, Whyleonhart said:

I’m trying to use my computer for the development of games and I am trying to find a reasonable graphics card. I’m planning on upgrading the cpu to an i7 quad core processor 3.4 GHz and adding an SSD or an SSHD. All I need to find is a gpu to work with it.

The amount of money you will spend in upgrading this low end pc will get you close to buying a new computer. What is your budget?

I do not advice you spend a single penny more on this pc and just save up for a whole new computer.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The amount of money you will spend in upgrading this low end pc will get you close to buying a new computer. What is your budget?

I do not advice you spend a single penny more on this pc and just save up for a whole new computer.

$350. I don’t like to be wasteful with my electronics

Just now, Whyleonhart said:

$350

Too low for a rtx gpu or any decent card right now.

Advice stays the same save up more for a new prebuilt. This pc has run it's course basically.

Just now, jaslion said:

Too low for a rtx gpu or any decent card right now.

Advice stays the same save up more for a new prebuilt. This pc has run it's course basically.

I am keeping my current one because I cannot afford all of that right now . If you know how to manage these kinds of computers then they run rather fine. The reason why I keep my current computer is because it has a lot of reliability to it and it is easy to work with.

2 minutes ago, Whyleonhart said:

I am keeping my current one because I cannot afford all of that right now . If you know how to manage these kinds of computers then they run rather fine. The reason why I keep my current computer is because it has a lot of reliability to it and it is easy to work with.

As it is right now a gpu upgrade is not an option. At best it can MAYBE do a gtx 1650 WITHOUT a power connector. But those cards are basically outside of your budget due to the gpu market being whack.

Any decent pc worth it's money is stable too.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

As it is right now a gpu upgrade is not an option. At best it can MAYBE do a gtx 1650 WITHOUT a power connector. But those cards are basically outside of your budget due to the gpu market being whack.

Any decent pc worth it's money is stable too.

Do you think a GeForce gt 730 4gb will work?

39 minutes ago, Whyleonhart said:

Do you think a GeForce gt 730 4gb will work?

Will it work? Yes. But that is NOT a gaming or game dev card at all. It is a display adapter. It is not intended for gaming and has just bad performance in almost any game. They are also by far not worth the money as they go for 90$ still and for that money you can get much better used cards.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Will it work? Yes. But that is NOT a gaming or game dev card at all. It is a display adapter. It is not intended for gaming and has just bad performance in almost any game. They are also by far not worth the money as they go for 90$ still and for that money you can get much better used cards.

Any suggestions on usable cards?

2 minutes ago, Whyleonhart said:

Any suggestions on usable cards?

Nothing new inside your budget will work and nothing used is worth it that will work in your system due to the psu. Upgrading the psu is not possible unless you get some rare adapter cables which are at least 30$. So you will easily lose 100$ from your gpu budget. I really urge you to save up but if you really need to this needs to happen first. Only if this is a possibility can I recommend mediocre upgrades as there are no good upgrades available right now.

Also is this the full desktop or the sff version (the smaller flatter one)? You haven't answered that yet.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Nothing new inside your budget will work and nothing used is worth it that will work in your system due to the psu. Upgrading the psu is not possible unless you get some rare adapter cables which are at least 30$. So you will easily lose 100$ from your gpu budget. I really urge you to save up but if you really need to this needs to happen first. Only if this is a possibility can I recommend mediocre upgrades as there are no good upgrades available right now.

Also is this the full desktop or the sff version (the smaller flatter one)? You haven't answered that yet.

It’s tower

Just now, Whyleonhart said:

It’s tower

Ok that is good but are you willing to spend a good part of your budget on a psu and hope there are still those adapter cables for your pc? Again I really do not recommend doing this but it is the only way you can get anything semi decent. The rest of the system will still be an issue.

My advise would be to get a new used system. For around 350-400$ you can still get quite good used computer. A lot better than this one and then you can sell this computer.

180-Watt PSU. That's not going to support an RTX GPU.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

According to the specs sheet the psu is 180w

• PS3 180W, 50/60Hz (WW)