Laptop cpu AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor or Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor??

Hi so i want to replace my old intel 4th gen hp laptop so I have decided to look at pcword/currys as if you live in the uk they are the one big retail where i can buy so in sore they have these two AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor or Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor but what I want to ask for the long term which one is better buying? I also see
AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor also but im not sure in which one would better buy as CPU just now.
Would like advice on this.

It for normal use not gaming me be a bit of video editing light editing for youtube and photoshoot work.

the models are
LENOVO IdeaPad Flex 5 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5, 256 GB SSD, Grey
Windows 10 S
AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 256 GB SSD
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 12 hours

LENOVO IdeaPad Flex 5 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 512 GB SSD, Teal
Windows 10 S
AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 12 hours
these are my option with amd.
but the gpu used 2 gb of memory of 8gb i think so I'm not sure if that better option. Windows uses 2 gb and then gpu will be 2 so then 4gb will be used only leaving 4gb left........

On intel its either
DELL Inspiron 14 5406 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Grey
(39)
4 offers available
Windows 10
Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 9 hours

HP Pavilion x360 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Silver
(2066)
Windows 10
Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7 Processor
Full HD touchscreen
Battery life: Up to 8 hours

These are the laptops that i can afford.
Please note im only buying from this retailer not any other as i can i add extra warranty for anything happens to this laptop then they will fix.

The 4500u is already a fair bit better in every way than even the best low power i7. It easily beats the i5 in both performance and lower energy consumption thus leading to better battery life.

Either the 4500u or 4700u is more than enough for you BUT the 8gb of ram is pretty low. Try to look around for a 16gb version.

As for laptop recommendations. The hp envy x360 amd version is really good you can get the 15inch ryzen 4000 16gb version for around 850$ usually even less.

i5 Tiger Lake is slightly better in Single Core, the Ryzen is slightly better in Multicore.

22 minutes ago, syfer said:

but the gpu used 2 gb of memory of 8gb i think so I'm not sure if that better option. Windows uses 2 gb and then gpu will be 2 so then 4gb will be used only leaving 4gb left........

This is REALLY not how it works..

GPU doesn't use 2gb, and they are just gone. GPU uses probably a few 100 mb, but there is a maximum it "CAN" use, if it needs it.

But since Ram is not upgradeable, i would think about buying 16gb models anyway. Regardless of the IGP using the Ram as Video memory or not.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 4500u is already a fair bit better in every way than even the best low power i7. It easily beats the i5 in both performance and lower energy consumption thus leading to better battery life.

i'm not a Fan of Intel, but this is not true: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/de/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_5_4500u-1144-vs-intel_core_i5_1135g7-1616

4500u is a 6 Core with 6 threads (no SMT), Intel Tiger Lake is 4 real cores, but with SMT/HTT, so it has 8 Threads. That somewhat counters it. Even more, The Intel is even slightly faster in Multicore in Cinebench.

Plus, Intel as faster single Cores, and a much faster GPU.

Which has lower energy consumption depends on the Laptop itself. The manufacturer can configure it however they want. They can chose to limit the Intel chip to 12w, or to 15w, or to 28w with 40+ Watt of burst. Same with AMD.

Intel Tiger Lake really isn't that much worse mostly in "normal load". It again depends on the Laptop, how it's configured. Different Laptops = VERY different results.

I've seen Notebooks with a 10th Gen 14+++ nm Comet Lake i5 quad core, and power consumption was better than on ANY Ryzen model.

The exact same Chip can have 6000 Cinebench R23 points (HP Envy 14), or just 3500 in a different Laptop (LG Gram 14)

My recommendation here: Dell Inspiron 14. It's the only one with user upgradeable Ram. This is much more important than those small benchmark-differences.

Or: If your Projects are so big, that you actually benefit from 8 real Cores over the 4/8 configuration from Intel, 8gb Ram won't be quite enough usually.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

i5 Tiger Lake is slightly better in Single Core, the Ryzen is slightly better in Multicore.

This is REALLY not how it works..

GPU doesn't use 2gb, and they are just gone. GPU uses probably a few 100 mb, but there is a maximum it "CAN" use, if it needs it.

But since Ram is not upgradeable, i would think about buying 16gb models anyway. Regardless of the IGP using the Ram as Video memory or not.

i'm not a Fan of Intel, but this is not true: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/de/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_5_4500u-1144-vs-intel_core_i5_1135g7-1616

4500u is a 6 Core with 6 threads (no SMT), Intel Tiger Lake is 4 real cores, but with SMT/HTT, so it has 8 Threads. That somewhat counters it. Even more, The Intel is even slightly faster in Multicore in Cinebench.

Plus, Intel as faster single Cores, and a much faster GPU.

Which has lower energy consumption depends on the Laptop itself. The manufacturer can configure it however they want. They can chose to limit the Intel chip to 12w, or to 15w, or to 28w with 40+ Watt of burst. Same with AMD.

Intel Tiger Lake really isn't that much worse mostly in "normal load". It again depends on the Laptop, how it's configured. Different Laptops = VERY different results.

The exact same Chip can have 6000 Cinebench R23 points (HP Envy 14), or just 3500 in a different Laptop (LG Gram 14)

My recommendation here: Dell Inspiron 14. It's the only one with user upgradeable Ram. This is much more important than those small benchmark-differences.

Or: If your Projects are so big, that you actually benefit from 8 real Cores over the 4/8 configuration from Intel, 8gb Ram won't be quite enough usually.

Cpu monkey is just as bs of a site as userbenchmark so you really cannot go off of it.

I do admit I confused the 4500u for the other 6core12thread one so performance wise they are near identical HOWEVER in the laptops op provided the intel is thermally constrained causing lower boosting thus lowered performance. The 4500u is still better in multi core loads due to the 2 physical cores and the lenovo flex not causing thermal caps. The 4700u laptop obviously beats both and matches single core of a full speed 1135g7.

As for gpu the i5 uses the 80eu version of the xe graphics which is on average 5% worse than the vega 6 in the amd 4500u and a lot more behind on average compared to the vega 8.

I fully agree with the more than 8gb of ram is needed here. Thus I suggested a different laptop.

I retrieved my inforation mainly from notebookcheck but also a couple other sources to validate. They have an average of performance level they compare the current reviewed cpu or gpu to from other laptop tests thus painting a pretty darn good picture (they do leave out laptops that simply fail thermal tests from their performance averages).

It's good enough to have Cinebench results available. And these aren't false. And you didn't provide any better source yet. "I don't like your source" does not change my Statement 😉

Do you prefer Notebookcheck?
https://www.notebookcheck.net/R5-4500U-vs-R7-4700U-vs-i5-1135G7_11687_11683_12238.247596.0.html

Here, Multicore is +- similar. HERE, the 4500u beats the Tiger Lake slightly. But that always depends on which Notebooks were used for testing.Tiger Lake can go up to 28w sometimes.

In average, Multicore will be very similar. Why wouldn't it? 6/6 vs. 4/8, plus the Single Core difference.

But Single Core is better.

Same for 4700. Obviously better in Multicore, but on Single Core it does lose against an i5 Tiger Lake.

2 more Physical cores, but 2 less threads. That counters it for Multicore, you can view every single Benchmark for that. That's a perfectly logical explaination. You can't just ignore SMT.

And Single Core Performance is better on Intel, so it will be "more snappy" in everyday Tasks, as some Youtubers may phrase it. 4 stronger Cores with SMT vs. 6 weaker Cores

No, the 4700u does NOT beat tiger Lake's Single Core. It does beat Multicore usually, Also something you can just read up on any benchmark comparison.

This should not even be a discussion, because that is no opinion, it's 100% pure measured Facts and i provided now 2 Sources for that.

But feel free to provide a single Source, that measured higher Single Core on the 4700u compared to Tiger Lake.

Again: I'm not saying Ryzen 4000 is bad, or should be avoided at all. And i didn't say, Tiger Lake > 4500u.

I said: 4500u is NOT better than a Tiger Lake i5. Not in Multicore, and even less in Single Core or GPU.

I think i will go with DELL Inspiron 14 5406 14" 2 in 1 Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB SSD, Grey as it has expandable memory ie 2 dim slots and ill buy another 8gb if need be but this for my son laptop who is ten so i think it should ok with as much as i would of went with amd but their ram is to small with gpu eating in to it so that's why i have chosen intel i hope and should last another 7 years before i will upgrade this.