buying NVME m.2 ssd for SATA mode running m.2 slot

mahbubvy

Hi,

my mohterboard is MSI B150 Gaming M3,on it's Specification page it says "1x M.2 slot that runs on sata mode"

so if i buy a nvme ssd ,for example Transcend 220S which claims to be a nvme ssd,will my motherboad be able to utilized it full read/write speed (3300MB/s ,1100MB/s)

or will it bottleneck ??

image.png.075071eb15422cdf2f2cf3b1c11291ea.png)

It wouldnt even work. You need a SATA M Key SSD.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Most likely, it won't work at all. SATA and NVMe are completely different standards and can't "bottleneck" each other because they just aren't compatible at all.

42 minutes ago, mahbubvy said:

Hi,

my mohterboard is MSI B150 Gaming M3,on it's Specification page it says "1x M.2 slot that runs on sata mode"

so if i buy a nvme ssd ,for example Transcend 220S which claims to be a nvme ssd,will my motherboad be able to utilized it full read/write speed (3300MB/s ,1100MB/s)

or will it bottleneck ??

image.png.075071eb15422cdf2f2cf3b1c11291ea.png)

This mostly means that you have to get a B+M SATA drive. NVMe and SATA are not compatible interfaces, so if you stick an NVMe in, it just won't work. What it's telling you is that the slot is M keyed, and there's SATA drives that are only B key. You literally can't install one of those. It has to be B+M, which means it has notches for compatibility with either keyed slot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Thanks to all for replying.

i'm overwhelm by amount of information before buying an m.2 ssd.
i'm now confused which one will work on my motherboard,just help me out a little bit,
https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-1107
will this one support my motherboard? 

or suggest me a 256GB ssd with DRAM from this website,they sells on my country,
https://www.ryanscomputers.com/category/internal-ssd?page=1&limit=24&query=

1 minute ago, mahbubvy said:

i'm overwhelm by amount of information before buying an m.2 ssd.
i'm now confused which one will work on my motherboard,just help me out a little bit,
https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-1107
will this one support my motherboard? 

Yes. That's a SATA with B+M key.

It is confusing if you're just jumping in. The problem is that there's a lot of moving pieces here. There's the drive interface. That's either SATA or NVMe. Then there's the connector. That's M.2. There's different lengths and keys for that connector. That's because fhe connector can be used for all sorts of things that aren't drives. The M.2 pins can be used for different purposes, so the keys ensure that only the right things get plugged in. The lengths are for compatibility. Something like a WiFI adapter doesn't need 2280 length, and it would be onerous to have to carve out that much space in a laptop, for example, that would just be wasted, whereas an SSD does need that much length, typically, to fit the controller and NAND chips on the PCB.

Unfortunately, that means there's a lot of boxes you have to tick to make sure the drive will both fit and be compatible, and guarantee it will operate at its best performance (we didn't even get into PCIe versions).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse