did anyone else get a 30 series card for no reason, and end up just using it to occasionally mine ETH?

I used to be really into computers but took a break for almost a decade. I bought a prebuilt in january 2019 and started getting back into computers. slowly upgraded everything in it I could, and realized it was time to build my own for the first time. This was now fall 2020 and I had all parts for new computer. Was going to use the 1660S but saw that 3070 was due for release, and thought it would be fun to try to get one, so at 6am I got on the computer and placed my order. Didn't see what all the fuss was about. My gaming experience consists of a couple hours playing GTA V, I figured if I had a powerful enough graphics card to drive my budget 4k monitor that would be cool. 

Yet here we are several months later and I haven't played a single game. The only use for the card has been to mine ETH off and on, because I often get tired of the fan noise and don't see the point in wasting the power/electricity for unknown return. I thought a few times about reselling the card but am torn because I don't want to rip anyone off and I don't need the money that badly.  Plus it feels good knowing I have a powerful PC..you know, the whole ego thing. Is anyone else in a similar boat? Do you feel bad about it? 

<-- Moved to Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

13 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

The only use for the card has been to mine ETH off and on, because I often get tired of the fan noise and don't see the point in wasting the power/electricity for unknown return.

Perfectly fine usecase I'd say. If you want known return  just cash out regularly or convert to stablecoins and you'll know exactly what you get.

14 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

I thought a few times about reselling the card but am torn because I don't want to rip anyone off and I don't need the money that badly.

Become a local hero and just sell at MSRP or whatever your break even price is? then you won't be torn about ripping someone off.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Thank you for the suggestions. I suppose the 2nd part about selling for break even is sort of like "duh", yet I have FOMO just thinking about getting rid of it at the same time. first world problem i guess.

I had to get a new GPU when my old one(Vega 64) started giving me trouble a couple of months ago.

So when I checked there wasn't a single consumer card available in all of Norway, basically. But then the next day one store got in a batch of 3070 TUF cards and I just pulled the trigger even if it was at inflated prices.

I game occationally, but not nearly as much as before. And few of the games justify a 3070.

Mostly it just sits there, mining ETH like its nobody's business. 

Living in northern Norway I need the heat anyways, and when I learned to undervolt properly the heat and noise isn't a problem.

Mining 60MH @120W, so have earned back at least the overprice I paid for it

Sidenote: Just sold the old defective Vega 64 for 0,075 ETH

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

8 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I suppose the 2nd part about selling for break even is sort of like "duh", yet I have FOMO just thinking about getting rid of it at the same time. first world problem i guess.

Honestly if I had a 3070 or 80 right now I'd keep it as well. It'll serve you well for years to come.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

I had to get a new GPU when my old one(Vega 64) started giving me trouble a couple of months ago.

So when I checked there wasn't a single consumer card available in all of Norway, basically. But then the next day one store got in a batch of 3070 TUF cards and I just pulled the trigger even if it was at inflated prices.

I game occationally, but not nearly as much as before. And few of the games justify a 3070.

Mostly it just sits there, mining ETH like its nobody's business. 

Living in northern Norway I need the heat anyways, and when I learned to undervolt properly the heat and noise isn't a problem.

Mining 60MH @120W, so have earned back at least the overprice I paid for it

Sidenote: Just sold the old defective Vega 64 for 0,075 ETH

interesting, 60. The best my FE model gets, it will sometimes hit 56, but mostly stays around 54-55

1 minute ago, jwwagner25 said:

interesting, 60. The best my FE model gets, it will sometimes hit 56, but mostly stays around 54-55

Yes, I undervolted it to 1400MHz @725V and upped the memory speed to +1300.

I have the power limit at 55%, but it makes no difference if i set it to 100%.

Temps is stable at 50-55 C

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do