Feedback on PrusaSlicer File...?

For Science!

Dear LTT community,

If somebody has time, I was hoping maybe they could look at my first PrusaSlicer 3mf file and comment on whether it looks do-able, or whether you would have done something in a different manner that would make life much easier.

We are interesting in 3D printing molecular structures that are very irregular shaped, and so I think tree supports are the way to go. We are using a Prusa i3 Mk3s + MMU2S unit.

Untitled.thumb.png.28057dfdfbddf55be796e64fb6a4a390.png

prusa.3mf

This can be done on resin printers quite nicely but this would be a extremely challenging print on a FDM printer like that i3 mk3. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, Levent said:

This can be done on resin printers quite nicely but this would be a extremely challenging print on a FDM printer like that i3 mk3. 

the tree supports specifically? or the actual target?

I think the auto-generated lattice supports would be way to finicky to get out for some regions so if possible I think I would prefer tree supports.

We are limited to the i3 mk3 unfortunately so I would like to get it working with this restriction.

The left most support in the image might be a small weak point given the low surface area and height it needs to climb before attaching. Some of the supports near the top look like maybe even a bit overkill to me, but better safe than sorry at first. For me just trying it is the best way to learn with these kind of things, especially for exotic shapes. As @Levent says it  looks like a tricky one for FDM printer to me as well, so I'd advise to first do a test print in one colour to see how it prints, tweak some settings and then do the real one with the colours you want. You could even try a scaled version to save some filament during testing, but of course won't be a 1:1 test.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

@Levent@tikker Thanks for your insight, sounds like its a "try it and see" situation although I appreciate its going to be a bumpy ride.

I was hoping you could also give me some idea about the workflow of generating supports/gcode etc.

At the moment I use a program that generates a volume based on the molecular structure that gets exported as a .STL format (UCSF Chimera)

Then I read this into Meshmixer to scale, combine, orientate, and then generate the tree supports and export this as a .AMF format

Finally this gets read into PrusaSlicer for slicing.

If there are altenative ways you think that can improve the workflow (free software only, ideally) then this would also be helpful.e

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

@Levent@tikker Thanks for your insight, sounds like its a "try it and see" situation although I appreciate its going to be a bumpy ride.

I was hoping you could also give me some idea about the workflow of generating supports/gcode etc.

At the moment I use a program that generates a volume based on the molecular structure that gets exported as a .STL format (UCSF Chimera)

Then I read this into Meshmixer to scale, combine, orientate, and then generate the tree supports and export this as a .AMF format

Finally this gets read into PrusaSlicer for slicing.

If there are altenative ways you think that can improve the workflow (free software only, ideally) then this would also be helpful.e

Whatever works really. I do whatever I can in the slicer. Slice the ST there and also let it determine supports. I use Cura which has tree support as well. Haven't used PrusaSlicer, but it probably does too. Not better per se, but might cut down on the number of steps/different software needed

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB