Motitor won't go to sleep connected to Displayport

Go to solution Solved by kris44dad,

Hooked up the troublesome monitor via DVI. It's all better now. It's ridiculous this technology doesn't just work, for something so basic.

Windows 10 Home

Dual monitor setup (identical monitors)

Nvidia 2060

Apparently, there has been an issue before with [dual] monitors hooked up to display port not going to sleep. The monitor hooked up to HDMI works as expected. The one hooked to displayport goes "black", but the backlight stays lit and the monitor stays active. Anybody know of a possible fix?

What monitors do you have?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

This isn't a dual monitor issue, its a fairly common problem with DisplayPort and some monitors are notorious for this. We need to know what display(s) you have.

2 ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV 27" 16:9 Adaptive-Sync IPS Monitors.  And I'm assuming a Display port to HDMI adaptor would not resolve the issue, as a work around. I have also tried switching the mis-behaved monitor from v1.2 to 1.1 to no effect, so I switched it back to 1.2.  (And updated the Nvidia drivers.)

I have the same issue with a Asus PA279Q for years now. It was a problem on the GTX780, it remains a problem on my new RTX3080. It is only when I am on display port do I have this backlight not turning off issue. My other monitor, a Samsung 27B970D which I used for the longest time on displayport never had this issue.

When I switched the main monitor (the Samsung) to a LG 48" CX I had a new issue; if I turn off the monitors manually and then turn off the TV as well I can't wake the monitors back up. The GPU just goes to "sleep" if you will. I've always ran 2-3 monitor setups. Don't recall this ever being a problem on my Samsung monitor though.

If you find a fix I would like to know as well.

17 minutes ago, keroro7788 said:

I have the same issue with a Asus PA279Q for years now. It was a problem on the GTX780, it remains a problem on my new RTX3080. It is only when I am on display port do I have this backlight not turning off issue. My other monitor, a Samsung 27B970D which I used for the longest time on displayport never had this issue.

When I switched the main monitor (the Samsung) to a LG 48" CX I had a new issue; if I turn off the monitors manually and then turn off the TV as well I can't wake the monitors back up. The GPU just goes to "sleep" if you will. I've always ran 2-3 monitor setups. Don't recall this ever being a problem on my Samsung monitor though.

If you find a fix I would like to know as well.

I'm beginning to think there isn't one. I may shoot an email to the manufacturer, to see if they have any input. But I doubt that's going to do anything. Unless I see something promising on this thread, my next thing to try is an end run, and use a DVI cable in place of the display port cable, and see what happens. 

I recently added a 2nd DP monitor that I daisy chain off the Asus and that 2nd monitor doesn't have the backlight on issue. Only on the main Asus connected to the PC. I think you're right in that the issue is unlikely to be resolved. If the TV goes into standby on it's own the daisychain monitor has to be rebooted for signal to come back. It won't wake from sleep. SOOO confusing.

Maybe I'll just have to HDMI everything. 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:48 AM, keroro7788 said:

I recently added a 2nd DP monitor that I daisy chain off the Asus and that 2nd monitor doesn't have the backlight on issue. Only on the main Asus connected to the PC. I think you're right in that the issue is unlikely to be resolved. If the TV goes into standby on it's own the daisychain monitor has to be rebooted for signal to come back. It won't wake from sleep. SOOO confusing.

Maybe I'll just have to HDMI everything. 

I had no idea you could daisy chain monitors. I am today old. LOL

Hooked up the troublesome monitor via DVI. It's all better now. It's ridiculous this technology doesn't just work, for something so basic.