Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD Threadripper Torx screwdriver missing

Hi guys,

I am missing the AMD Threadripper Torx screwdriver, what can I do now?

So yesterday finally got my Threadripper 3960x.

It was the last critical peace missing for my build so I was quite excited.
Later that day I found out, that I got sent the wrong motherboard, but that is another story and should be resolved today or tomorrow.

For the CPU, I got the Tray only option, it was available quicker and it was less 120€, so I grab it without thinking much about it.
To my surprise, this thing comes in a very strange felling box, not very comfortable for a 1400€ processor, but my problem is that I does not bring the torx screwdriver.
I have seen a couple people mentioning that you can do it without it, but I rather not take my changes in breaking a the MB pins.

Do you have any suggestions, tips or can help somehow?
I am located in Switzerland btw.

Do you have any other screw drivers, perhaps you have a torx that fits?

Try and check local hardware stores..am fairly certain they should have something that'll fit 

1 hour ago, marcoleite said:

To my surprise, this thing comes in a very strange felling box, not very comfortable for a 1400€ processor,

Not a big issue with Threadripper, as they don't have any pins underneath. So you can probably (not suggesting you should) throw the box with the CPU in it across the room and it sould be fine.

If you want to make sure you mount it correctly, best way to do it is to buy a 2nd hand screwdriver. Like THIS one.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: LG 27GN950-B - TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Speakers: Samsung HW-Q80R + optional surround speakers - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

34 minutes ago, Bartandroid123 said:

Do you have any other screw drivers, perhaps you have a torx that fits?

I probably do, if not, I can easily find one. but I am afraid of breaking the pins on the Motherboard if by accident I tighten it too much.
Aparently it is a common mistake of people o try to do it without the amd tool - breaking the board

24 minutes ago, iNSUFFZ said:

Try and check local hardware stores..am fairly certain they should have something that'll fit 

I will indeed do some calls this morning...

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Not a big issue with Threadripper, as they don't have any pins underneath. So you can probably (not suggesting you should) throw the box with the CPU in it across the room and it sould be fine.

If you want to make sure you mount it correctly, best way to do it is to buy a 2nd hand screwdriver. Like THIS one.

Besides the fact that it wont ship it to me, There is our worse enemy at the moment "This item is out of stock" on that ad...

1 minute ago, marcoleite said:

Besides the fact that it wont ship it to me, There is our worse enemy at the moment "This item is out of stock" on that ad...

Just posted this as an example. There is likely someone who sells this thing in switzerland aswell.

Dislaimer: If my post is older than 5 minutes, refresh the page. Most of my posts get edited straight away. 😄

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-E - GPU: PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 Epic-X - RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz CL16 - PSU: Corsair RMx (2018) 850W - Storage: 500 GB Corsair MP600 (Boot) + 2 TB Sabrent Rocket Q (Storage) - Cooling: EK, HW Labs & Alphacool custom loop - Case: Lian-Li PC O11 Dynamic - Fans: 6x Noctua NF-A12x25 - AMP/DAC: FiiO K5 Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: LG 27GN950-B - TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Speakers: Samsung HW-Q80R + optional surround speakers - Mouse: Logitech G Pro + Powerplay - Keyboard: Logitech G915, Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic Amiron Home - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Temperatures @steady state: Furmark + CinebenchR23 running for 1 hour. Fans @850RPM. Pump @1600RPM.

Water: 37°C

CPU: 73°C

GPU: 54°C

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Just posted this as an example. There is likely someone who sells this thing in switzerland aswell.

I will call some shops near me... I can't find this for sale online anywhere...

Any Torx T20 screwdriver will work. 

AMD recommends around 1.5 newton meter / 13.3 in-lb of torque ... you may find a third party screwdriver or something with removable heads that can display the torque value...  basically they want you to screw tight enough that all the pads on the cpu put enough pressure on the pins in the socket to make good contact.

So I guess you can try tightening until you meet significant resistance, then if you get errors you may need to tighten a bit more...

So I got very lucky and found 1 shop 30 min away from me that had a spare one.

Big thanks for Steg Marin, Neuchatel (Switzerland) and their employees.
Also to all of you for the suggestions

717246792_amdthreadrippertorx.png

Does the Threadripper Torx driver have ratcheting in it to apply a certain amount of torque or is it just a regular Torx driver?

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz All-Core - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Tt Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Other Tech - 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.