AMD Threadripper Torx screwdriver missing

Hi guys,

I am missing the AMD Threadripper Torx screwdriver, what can I do now?

So yesterday finally got my Threadripper 3960x.

It was the last critical peace missing for my build so I was quite excited.
Later that day I found out, that I got sent the wrong motherboard, but that is another story and should be resolved today or tomorrow.

For the CPU, I got the Tray only option, it was available quicker and it was less 120€, so I grab it without thinking much about it.
To my surprise, this thing comes in a very strange felling box, not very comfortable for a 1400€ processor, but my problem is that I does not bring the torx screwdriver.
I have seen a couple people mentioning that you can do it without it, but I rather not take my changes in breaking a the MB pins.

Do you have any suggestions, tips or can help somehow?
I am located in Switzerland btw.

Try and check local hardware stores..am fairly certain they should have something that'll fit 

1 hour ago, marcoleite said:

To my surprise, this thing comes in a very strange felling box, not very comfortable for a 1400€ processor,

Not a big issue with Threadripper, as they don't have any pins underneath. So you can probably (not suggesting you should) throw the box with the CPU in it across the room and it sould be fine.

If you want to make sure you mount it correctly, best way to do it is to buy a 2nd hand screwdriver. Like THIS one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

34 minutes ago, Bartandroid123 said:

Do you have any other screw drivers, perhaps you have a torx that fits?

I probably do, if not, I can easily find one. but I am afraid of breaking the pins on the Motherboard if by accident I tighten it too much.
Aparently it is a common mistake of people o try to do it without the amd tool - breaking the board

24 minutes ago, iNSUFFZ said:

Try and check local hardware stores..am fairly certain they should have something that'll fit 

I will indeed do some calls this morning...

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Not a big issue with Threadripper, as they don't have any pins underneath. So you can probably (not suggesting you should) throw the box with the CPU in it across the room and it sould be fine.

If you want to make sure you mount it correctly, best way to do it is to buy a 2nd hand screwdriver. Like THIS one.

Besides the fact that it wont ship it to me, There is our worse enemy at the moment "This item is out of stock" on that ad...

1 minute ago, marcoleite said:

Besides the fact that it wont ship it to me, There is our worse enemy at the moment "This item is out of stock" on that ad...

Just posted this as an example. There is likely someone who sells this thing in switzerland aswell.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

Just posted this as an example. There is likely someone who sells this thing in switzerland aswell.

I will call some shops near me... I can't find this for sale online anywhere...

Any Torx T20 screwdriver will work. 

AMD recommends around 1.5 newton meter / 13.3 in-lb of torque ... you may find a third party screwdriver or something with removable heads that can display the torque value...  basically they want you to screw tight enough that all the pads on the cpu put enough pressure on the pins in the socket to make good contact.

So I guess you can try tightening until you meet significant resistance, then if you get errors you may need to tighten a bit more...

So I got very lucky and found 1 shop 30 min away from me that had a spare one.

Big thanks for Steg Marin, Neuchatel (Switzerland) and their employees.
Also to all of you for the suggestions

717246792_amdthreadrippertorx.png

Does the Threadripper Torx driver have ratcheting in it to apply a certain amount of torque or is it just a regular Torx driver?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi