Advice for an average PC for light gaming and streaming

Go to solution Solved by AB3D,

Budget (including currency): £485

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Streaming on Twitch, Discord calls.

Other details: I am upgrading from a chromebook to a pc. i am wondering if the pc i chose is good for my budget. it is meant for light gaming and streaming.

I have attached the parts and case for it in the image below. Please check it out! BTW I am very new to the pc community so please try and simplify your answers as much as you can please. Thank you!

Screenshot 2021-05-02 18.07.40.png

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Streaming on Twitch, Discord calls.

Other details: I am upgrading from a chromebook to a pc. i am wondering if the pc i chose is good for my budget. it is meant for light gaming and streaming.

I have attached the parts and case for it in the image below. Please check it out! BTW I am very new to the pc community so please try and simplify your answers as much as you can please. Thank you!

GT 1030 isn't really any better than the integrated GPU of the Ryzen. That being said, it is overally balanced build with a decent price. Some exceptions however, that is relatively slow ram (and only single channel!)*, a cheap PSU, and a SSD that probably sucks.

Keep in mind however that it is a low end system, not average like you say in title.

*If you want this PC, I'd recommend getting either 2nd ram stick simmilar to the one installed, or getting a faster 2x4 pack.

PS. Do you have the ability to change the specifications? If so, I'd get dual channel and faster ram, ditch the dGPU, and upgrade to a SSD with DRAM cache (see the tier list).

Is there any way of making sure you're buying a GDDR5 version of the GT 1030? Because the DDR4 version of the GT 1030 sometimes performs worse than the vega 8 iGPU in your ryzen 3 3200g. Other than that, if the intel core i3 10100f isn't cheaper in your region, this is a decent build, certainly good for the money.

19 minutes ago, AB3D said:

I have attached the parts and case for it in the image below. Please check it out!

the gt 1030 is worthless in this build since the vega8 igpu in r3 3200g has identical performance  and even so I don't recommend you to build a new pc in this market situation 

But I will recommend you to go in Ebay and find  some good deals 

I can give you some advices to what to look for if you willing to go in the used market 

4 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

GT 1030 isn't really any better than the integrated GPU of the Ryzen. That being said, it is overally balanced build with a decent price. Some exceptions however, that is relatively slow ram (and only single channel!)*, a cheap PSU, and a SSD that probably sucks.

Keep in mind however that it is a low end system, not average like you say in title.

*If you want this PC, I'd recommend getting either 2nd ram stick simmilar to the one installed, or getting a faster 2x4 pack.

PS. Do you have the ability to change the specifications? If so, I'd get dual channel and faster ram, ditch the dGPU, and upgrade to a SSD with DRAM cache (see the tier list).

i can change the specs. also are you saying that i should go with the intergrated graphics is better than my current gpu?

Right now apus and iGPUs crush for light loads because of discrete gpu pricing.  The hardest thing to do that you describe is Minecraft. Not all apus and iGPUs  are created equal gpu wise.  The choice between intel and AMD is mostly which is closer to msrp.  There’s a little more room for movement on AMD but not nearly as much as is sometimes demanded so sometimes an intel chip is better.  The two things you are interested in cpu wise is clock speed and gpu type # of threads to some degree but the other two are actually more important. AMD boards are generally a bit cheaper than intel boards so final system cost matters too.  One thing I see a lot of people doing is buying a system with a lot of cpu power that overwhelms the integrated gpu that is attached with an eye to adding a discrete gpu when pricing gets normal again.  I don’t know if you’re in this group or not.  If you are thread count becomes important.  You don’t want less than 12 threads, possibly 16 (so 6 or 8 cores with multithread)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, AB3D said:

i can change the specs. also are you saying that i should go with the intergrated graphics is better than my current gpu?

1030 will cost you around £90 I think, and will bring little performance increase. What I would recommend is to get 3400G (if you can find one - it has better graphics than 3200G), 2x4GB 2933 RAM, B350 board, SSD with DRAM, a slighlty higher quality PSU (and perhaps 450W if you intend to upgrade to a dGPU in the future (1030 doesn't count)) and install OS yourself (it'll save you quite a bit).

26 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

If and only if OP can't get 3400G - then yes.

The both probably have single channel RAM and dram-less SSD with only 250GB. Also one of them has 180W PSU (!) and is out of stock, while other has A320 board and 250W PSU.

42 minutes ago, AB3D said:

The gt 1030 and the integrated gpu (vega 8) have identical performance