Upgrade older Notbook, Yeah or Nay?

I gotten this Thinkpad T430 back in ~2016 from Newegg for ~$160. I use it Primary for testing Distros and letting guests use it instead of My Main Desktop. Ivy Bridge i5 /4GBof RAM and 500GB HDD.

I want to replace the HDD with a SSD. The Memory with 8GB to 16GB depending on Pricing, DDR3... However due to it's age, CPU, and the weight, I'm wondering if I should get a newer Notebook instead?

I'd say depends on the upgrade cost. I've got an older laptop (i5 560M) and thanks to an SSD and 8 GB of memory it is still fairly usable for tasks like web browsing, and even older games. Not sure I could even upgrade to 16 GB, but that would probably be overkill for my needs.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It really depends on how long you want to use the machine for. If you intend to use it for another few years, then upgrade by all means. However, if you were wanting to replace it within the next year or so, I'd say not to bother, and to just get a new laptop that suits your needs better out of the box.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

It really depends on how long you want to use the machine for. If you intend to use it for another few years, then upgrade by all means. However, if you were wanting to replace it within the next year or so, I'd say not to bother, and to just get a new laptop that suits your needs better out of the box.

Well the extra Memory and a SSD will given a Speed increase to be sure.

48 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well the extra Memory and a SSD will given a Speed increase to be sure.

They will indeed, the big question is though, are you happy with that upgrade, or do you want more?

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

9 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

They will indeed, the big question is though, are you happy with that upgrade, or do you want more?

Probably since I don't really use it that much really.

If the Ivy Bridge CPU has enough Performance for your needs, you don't need a new Laptop, really.

Put in an SSD, maybe upgrade Ram if 8gb isn't enough.

Notebooks usually use smaller, slower HDDs, so these things are even slower than you imagine.

And older Notebooks with older HDDs can really feel like pure Cancer using them.

The HDD is the thing, that slows the Computer down atm, not the CPU.