Unity or Unreal engine

I'd like to make just a simple deathmatch fps game that I can play at school with my friends with a few different guns or power ups but I don't know which engine I should start on, Unity or Unreal engine.

I  have plenty of time to learn a language (like c# or c++) If I need too 

It's going to be a lot more difficult then you think, I guarantee it.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

What are you using to model stuff?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's going to be a lot more difficult then you think, I guarantee it.

I don't want to make a game with amazing scenery and and beautiful models I just want something that's works and my friends would appreciate, i'm also willing to learn any skills I would need to do it.

Do you have any experience with game engines? if so what do you use?

What are you using to model stuff?

Hahaha what would you recommend a beginner use, I am completely new to all this stuff :) 

I don't want to make a game with amazing scenery and and beautiful models I just want something that's works and my friends would appreciate, i'm also willing to learn any skills I would need to do it.

If you want to do that then 2D will be way way waaay easier.Also,you can use your own game engine which will help you understand stuff.Making sprites is way easier than modeling and applying a texture to the model.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I have built a few FPS games using Unity, it's much harder than UDK since UDK tends to use Unreal script which is pretty simplified and includes assets so you won't even need to model anything. In Unity you pretty much get nothing and have to either find models or make them yourself. Something that is extremely hard. Unreal script is also much easier to use than learning the programming language of either Java or C# I still recommend using both just so you can learn to use C# or Javascript (Javascript and Java are not the same thing by the way) as well as make your project rather easily.

Hahaha what would you recommend a beginner use, I am completely new to all this stuff :)

A good modeling software is Blender, it's free and is pretty easy to learn if you watch a few tutorials.

If you want to do that then 2D will be way way waaay easier.Also,you can use your own game engine which will help you understand stuff.Making sprites is way easier than modeling and applying a texture to the model.

I would prefer 3d models :)

A good modeling software is Blender, it's free and is pretty easy to learn if you watch a few tutorials.

But the UI...oh boy!I still use it though :D So awesome.

I would use the source engine. People think making games is waaaay easier than it actually is.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

But the UI...oh boy!I still use it though :D So awesome.

The UI could definitely spare to be much more appealing haha. I mostly hide most of the panels while I'm modeling anyway. I just bring them up when I need them.

I would use the source engine. People think making games is waaaay easier than it actually is.

Not entirely true, making full fledged games is very difficult. Making a basic fps where you can shoot stuff and you get points is simple and can take like a day.

I have built a few FPS games using Unity, it's much harder than UDK since UDK tends to use Unreal script which is pretty simplified and includes assets so you won't even need to model anything. In Unity you pretty much get nothing and have to either find models or make them yourself. Something that is extremely hard. Unreal script is also much easier to use than learning the programming language of either Java or C# I still recommend using both just so you can learn to use C# or Javascript (Javascript and Java are not the same thing by the way) as well as make your project rather easily.

Well I guess i'll go with UDK then, but whats the difference between UDK and Unreal and why do you use unity?. Is UDK just a simplified version of unreal engine or is it actually just the same thing?

Does anybody know a good website or forum were i can start to learn how to use UDK and blender

Thanks for all the replies! :D

Edited by Lachlan

The UI could definitely spare to be much more appealing haha. I mostly hide most of the panels while I'm modeling anyway. I just bring them up when I need them.

2eqa152.jpg

Well I guess i'll go with UDK then, but whats the difference between UDK and Unreal. Is UDK just a simplified version of unreal engine or is it actually just the same thing?

Does anybody know a good website or forum were i can start to learn how to use UDK and blender

UDK is Unreal Engine... Unreal Develoment Kit.

UDK is Unreal Engine... Unreal Develoment Kit.

Hahahaha Yeah I was thinking that :P

Well I guess i'll go with UDK then, but whats the difference between UDK and Unreal and why do you use unity?. Is UDK just a simplified version of unreal engine or is it actually just the same thing?

UDK is a free version of the Unreal Engine with included assets and helpful UI and tools to assist independent developers. The actual Unreal is very barebones and that's because large development companies are going to build their game from scratch anyway so they don't need the free assets and tutorials and what-not.

@Lachlan

In Blender toturials can only teach you how to do certain things,the rest comes from your imagination and experience.

2eqa152.jpg

You are an incredible 3D modeler :D I struggle to make guns let alone a humanoid character. I'm more a programmer than anything I mostly download 3D models to use In my games. I've mostly just dabbled really, I'm a terrible artist.

UDK is a free version of the Unreal Engine with included assets and helpful UI and tools to assist independent developers. The actual Unreal is very barebones and that's because large development companies are going to build their game from scratch anyway so they don't need the free assets and tutorials and what-not.

Ohhhhh that makes allot of sense, Thanks!

Ohhhhh that makes allot of sense, Thanks!

When you first download UDK and open it a help window will appear and  allow you to click on a section called video tutorials and you can use that to start on the basics. As far as Blender models go just search for a how-to on the object you would like to create such as a gun and use your imagination to create from the experience they share with you.

When you first download UDK and open it a help window will appear and  allow you to click on a section called video tutorials and you can use that to start on the basics. As far as Blender models go just search for a how-to on the object you would like to create such as a gun and use your imagination to create from the experience they share wit

Alright thanks!!! :D

Looking at the conversation you had here, as well as a 2nd year games development uni student, jumping into deep waters may be a good idea if you are really sold on "I'll make an FPS <period>" idea. But if you want to create something, look at it 12 months from the point when you finished, and not throw up, practice on random stuff.

Learn basics of game production like in-game collision, physics, 3D modelling, AI and all other essentials of a game. I'm not talking in-depth knowledge, I mean knowing how they work, and why they are in place. I currently work in UDK for a uni coursework, and while it gives you a lot of assets and tools on a plate, if you don't know what to do with them, you won't create anything.

I'm not saying don't do it, just learn how to do it properly before you actually implement it in your game.