Galaxy S7+ vs iPad pro or is a tablet just not worth it?

Blu3tack

Hi there,

I've been really tempted to purchase a tablet recently.  Primarily I'm looking to use it for media consumption, note taking/study and general portability.  I currently have a powerful desktop that I do most of my work on and a decent little 13 inch laptop that I rarely use due to it being a tad cumbersome.  I've been thinking about getting a 10+ inch tablet to take/organize my notes whilst studying online.  I do currently have a Samsung A2 from a while back but the lack of finger print or facial unlocking and inability to use a decent pen for note taking combined with it's generally slow/clunky performance has relegated it to the drawer.  I also have a kindle that I use primarily for books.

I guess I'm trying to work out is a tablet worth it, as an android (Samsung) phone user I've been leaning towards Samsungs product line but then the new release of the iPads with M1 chips has been tempting.  I have also heard leaks that the s7 line is potentially going to be updated to s8 sometime this year so maybe it's not a good time to purchase?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not overly budget conscious and would be more focused on having a good performing product rather than bang for the buck but spending $1000 USD on a tablet just seems a tad excessive if the performance is meh compared to a similarly priced laptop.

Personally, I would easily recommend the iPad Pro or even a Windows based tablet over an Android tablet. Windows and iPadOS offer much better continual app and software support, but with an Android tablet, apps won't be designed well for it, and you won't get software updates for long at all.

If you don't think a tablet is worth it, then there are some great 13 inch laptops on the market for much lower prices, with Core i3s and Ryzen 3s.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

If you want samsung dex on a big, on the go screen, you better off getting a samsung note or S series with a portable touch monitor than the tablet. They pack in underpowered hardware and software update is basicallly nonexistent. I was happy with my Tab 2 back in the day but LITERALLY THE NEXT GEN Tab 3 just pushed me away from android tablets altogether for those 2 reason. The state of android tablet is pretty much summarized really well by Linus and James in this video:

If you want a good usable tablet, go for a 13 inch 2-in-1 Windows machine, or Ipad.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I hadn't actually considered a windows tablet or even a 2-in-1.  I think I'll look into the Galaxy Book Pro first, thanks for the suggestions. 

7 hours ago, Blu3tack said:

Hi there,

I've been really tempted to purchase a tablet recently.  Primarily I'm looking to use it for media consumption, note taking/study and general portability.  I currently have a powerful desktop that I do most of my work on and a decent little 13 inch laptop that I rarely use due to it being a tad cumbersome.  I've been thinking about getting a 10+ inch tablet to take/organize my notes whilst studying online.  I do currently have a Samsung A2 from a while back but the lack of finger print or facial unlocking and inability to use a decent pen for note taking combined with it's generally slow/clunky performance has relegated it to the drawer.  I also have a kindle that I use primarily for books.

I guess I'm trying to work out is a tablet worth it, as an android (Samsung) phone user I've been leaning towards Samsungs product line but then the new release of the iPads with M1 chips has been tempting.  I have also heard leaks that the s7 line is potentially going to be updated to s8 sometime this year so maybe it's not a good time to purchase?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not overly budget conscious and would be more focused on having a good performing product rather than bang for the buck but spending $1000 USD on a tablet just seems a tad excessive if the performance is meh compared to a similarly priced laptop.

A good convertible laptop might do the trick as was suggested earlier (might be worth holding out on reviews of the Galaxy Book Pro 360), but if you do get an iPad, I'd actualy look at the iPad Air. You still get a very speedy tablet with support for the latest Apple Pencil, but you'll save quite a bit of money. It's too soon to say if Apple will make good use of the M1 for more advanced software features.