Corsair HX1200 Platinum + Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cables Pro Kit - Type 4 - Question about compatibility.

Novver
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
4 hours ago, Novver said:

Oh... Not trying to be a dick or anything, but where can you see that they purchased them for other brand PSUs?

I work at Corsair.  We have a guy whose sole job is to track down, report on and be a liaison with Amazon on Amazon reviews.  These are the same people that put up one star reviews for RAM because their 3200MHz DDR4 shows up as 2133MHz or rates one star for Commander Pro because they plugged ARGB devices into it and that melted the wires.

Dead serious.  They review this stuff with us every other Friday.

The cables are not pinned incorrectly and did not fry anyone's hardware when used with a Corsair PSU.

The only legitimate negative reviews are the missing cables and missing combs.  This is because Amazon sucks.  People return stuff and if the box "looks good", they just throw it back on the shelf to ship to the next customer.  That, and some of the white cables turning a pinkish tint.  We're still trying to figure that one out.

So i bought the HX1200 Platinum, and after some research, i bought the mentioned full PRO Kit Type 4, since multiple sources confirm that this PSU is type 4. 

The PSU arrived a few days ago, and tested it out, new pc boots up fine with the default cables. Cable kit is still en route.

BUT...

I started reading around the cables, and found a few worrying reviews on amazon, saying that these pro kits fried some components of peoples PC's. 

Someone even claims that on a cable he got, there are 2 wires reversed and couldve fried his GPU...? There are some really worrysome reviews and answers there.

Is there a possibility that these kits can be faulty and/or wrongly assembled and could fry my new rig somehow?

Here are some reviews and answers: 

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07L672V3P/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

33 minutes ago, Novver said:

So i bought the HX1200 Platinum, and after some research, i bought the mentioned full PRO Kit Type 4, since multiple sources confirm that this PSU is type 4. 

The PSU arrived a few days ago, and tested it out, new pc boots up fine with the default cables. Cable kit is still en route.

BUT...

I started reading around the cables, and found a few worrying reviews on amazon, saying that these pro kits fried some components of peoples PC's. 

Someone even claims that on a cable he got, there are 2 wires reversed and couldve fried his GPU...? There are some really worrysome reviews and answers there.

Is there a possibility that these kits can be faulty and/or wrongly assembled and could fry my new rig somehow?

Here are some reviews and answers: 

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07L672V3P/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

So, all of those reviews on Amazon, etc. that say that the cables fried their components; those were people that bought these cables for PSUs OTHER THAN CORSAIR.  True story.

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So, all of those reviews on Amazon, etc. that say that the cables fried their components; those were people that bought these cables for PSUs OTHER THAN CORSAIR.  True story.

Oh... Not trying to be a dick or anything, but where can you see that they purchased them for other brand PSUs?

4 hours ago, Novver said:

I work at Corsair.  We have a guy whose sole job is to track down, report on and be a liaison with Amazon on Amazon reviews.  These are the same people that put up one star reviews for RAM because their 3200MHz DDR4 shows up as 2133MHz or rates one star for Commander Pro because they plugged ARGB devices into it and that melted the wires.

The cables are not pinned incorrectly and did not fry anyone's hardware when used with a Corsair PSU.

The only legitimate negative reviews are the missing cables and missing combs.  This is because Amazon sucks.  People return stuff and if the box "looks good", they just throw it back on the shelf to ship to the next customer.  That, and some of the white cables turning a pinkish tint.  We're still trying to figure that one out.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Oooooh wait, you are THE jonnyGURU who went to work at Corsair? The one and only, who managed the PSU website with the same name? ❤️  

I knew your name was familiar, im, 31, but just recently started actually using the LTT forums. Long time lurker.

But to reply to what you just said:

These stories are crazy, but i can completely understand human stupidity, i work as an EMT 😄

You put my mind to ease. I dont worry about amazon, since i did not order from them, i bought it from a local tech-webshop. 

Thank you, i am impatiently waiting for my White Pro Cable Kit, because that is the last part of my build that did not arrive yet. Otherwise, my build is done. Since i am not even thinking about using these cables on even non-compatible Corsair PSUs, not to mention other brands, i should be fine. 

The last non-corsair psu i had was back in 2002-2004ish, when my gigabyte psu died, and i bought my first Corsair TX*something W* psu to replace it. I never bought any other brand ever since. I like the build quality, the looks, and the ecosystem of Corsair stuff. .

For my current build, i went with Corsair where i could. I know the HX1200 is overkill for this build, but wanted some cozy headroom for some possible upgrades, and it cost less than a HX1000 when i bought it 3 weeks ago.

Quick question though. The HX1200 came with the switch on Multi Rail, should i leave it on Multi, or should i switch it to Single? 

The specs i will be using it with are down with the pcpartpicker list. No overclocking.

Again, thank you for your previous, and current work. 
Have a great day!

a long-time fan

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $109.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard $629.69 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $299.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB NITRO+ Video Card $2388.67 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case $159.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $498.97 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120 mm Fan $30.99 @ Amazon
Custom Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW) $58.99 @ Amazon
Custom Noctua NA-HC4 chromax.white heatsink covers (for NH-D15, NH-D15S & NH-D15 SE-AM4) $29.90 @ Amazon
Custom Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cables Pro Kit Type 4 Gen 4 – White $109.99
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $4596.04
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-01 16:06 EDT-0400  

15 hours ago, Novver said:

Quick question though. The HX1200 came with the switch on Multi Rail, should i leave it on Multi, or should i switch it to Single? 

The specs i will be using it with are down with the pcpartpicker list. No overclocking.

Multi rail in default, but if you start to see some incompatibilities (like the PSU tripping), change it to single.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, jonnyGURU said:

lol - that's the first thing I thought of when I read OP. Had to be people buying the cables and not realizing they weren't compatible with their PSU. 

21 hours ago, thievesarmy said:

lol - that's the first thing I thought of when I read OP. Had to be people buying the cables and not realizing they weren't compatible with their PSU. 

I can wholeheartedly believe this. People in general are really that stupid.