PLEASE HELP: Steam VR performance test says my 2070 super is no where near able to play VR :(

keeploosing1

PLEASE HELP

I got a oculus rift s and I did a steam performance test and it says my GPU doesn't make the cut. I have an Alienware m17 R3 with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super. I looked through other posts of steam performance test and I saw someone else with a 2070 and it said it was in the green. I go in game and it run perfect for 5 to 10 minutes and then frame drops very low and is unplayable. I'm not too knowledgeable abut computer and am confused on why mine doesn't make it. Ive made sure my graphics card drivers are up to date. If you have any idea on why this is please tell me.

368649115_Performancetest.PNG.1f2e7cc4e45c9197a1af0dfe3564a4bd.PNG

Open task manager and see if something is using a ton of your GPU, you can get to it with Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Ctrl+Shift+Esc, then click more details, and see if anything is using a lot of your GPU.

Check your CPU/GPU temps after 10 minutes to make sure they aren't throttling.  

If you're using any nvidia driver version in the last ~6 months (since 451.48 or something) there is a bug that can cause frame drops in SteamVR. You could try downgrading to a version that doesn't have this issue. Apparently there is a fix coming soon though.  Also, I've heard if you have any software that is monitoring temps, frame rate, fans, etc, (f.lux also) that you may experience frame drops and reprojection, so it may be worth closing those before you start playing VR. 

8 hours ago, elpiop said:

Check your CPU/GPU temps after 10 minutes to make sure they aren't throttling.  

If you're using any nvidia driver version in the last ~6 months (since 451.48 or something) there is a bug that can cause frame drops in SteamVR. You could try downgrading to a version that doesn't have this issue. Apparently there is a fix coming soon though.  Also, I've heard if you have any software that is monitoring temps, frame rate, fans, etc, (f.lux also) that you may experience frame drops and reprojection, so it may be worth closing those before you start playing VR. 

I'll be sure to check if my temp is too high

10 hours ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Open task manager and see if something is using a ton of your GPU, you can get to it with Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Ctrl+Shift+Esc, then click more details, and see if anything is using a lot of your GPU.

Ive done that before and the only things that are open are oculus and steam vr 😞

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the same problem :( I am on alienware m15 R3, I tried all of your things. (once it was full green, but now its almost full red)

Are you plugged into the wall (laptop power), and also verify that there isn't anything in your power profile that is being restrictive?

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.

looks really like a temps issue 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Something is definitely not right.

I have same CPU but a 2070 Max-Q and get a 11.  This with a G5 5500.

Probably one area to look into, check Nvidia settings and add in vr.exe and set OpenGL and other settings to point at the dedicated GPU not the iGPU.

That could be the possible issue going on.

Along with have the Alienware software up as well and check your power/performance settings there as well.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

• 1 year later...

I’m sorry, I know this is long ago but for anyone who sees this, almost all Alienware pcs use a specific blower style type of cooling for their gpus, (especially the rtx 20 series), the cooling given to these gpus through the blowers is not sufficient and almost all of these gpus (mostly rtx 20 series) that are made by Dell(Alienware) have severe thermal throttling and are not good for gaming at all. The reason this happened to you Alienware users is because the Dell gpus reach extremely high temps (80c+) easily when playing games or doing benchmarks which causes either extreme thermal throttling or sometimes crashes and shutdowns, I recommend avoiding most Alienware pcs unless you make sure they do not use the OEM blower style gpu ( these thermal throttling chips usually look like small rectangles with tiny blower fans on one side) this problem is mostly only prevalent on Dell gpus, if you have ASUS or HP version of these gpus they should be fine just make sure they aren’t Alienware Dell.

Btw laptops also have this issue, so be careful when buying Alienware