Is there a way to make XMP ram work in a laptop?

rickje139

I was wondering if there is a way to enable RAM which requires XMP to work on the correct profile in a laptop.

I currently have the lenovo legion 7 16achg6 and i bought crucial 3200 cl16 SODIMM ram, but this was automatically set to 2666 (1300mhz)

I have checked the bios and there were no advanced settings or option to enable the XMP profile.

How can i make this ram work at 3200 CL16?

Unfortunately that answer is almost guaranteed to be that you can't.  Probably stuck with 2666.  If you go to their site: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16s4b and enter your laptop make/model, it says:

Sorry, this part will not work with your

Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6"

3 minutes ago, si1enze said:

Unfortunately that answer is almost guaranteed to be that you can't.  Probably stuck with 2666.  If you go to their site: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16s4b and enter your laptop make/model, it says:

Sorry, this part will not work with your

Lenovo Legion 7 16ACHg6"

Its not showing up because its a brand new model.

Isn't there some type of advanced bios options that i can unlock somewhere possibly?

1 minute ago, rickje139 said:

Thats showing the models which the people from lenovo themselves have tested on their model, i searched for 4tb ssd's couldn't find my model, yet it still works inside of my laptop.

SSD is very different. As long as it physically fits, it’ll work.

But RAM XMP requires BIOS that supports setting XMP. If the mobo doesn’t have a way to actually set an XMP profile, there is no way to make it work at the faster speed. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

SSD is very different. As long as it physically fits, it’ll work.

But RAM XMP requires BIOS that supports setting XMP. If the mobo doesn’t have a way to actually set an XMP profile, there is no way to make it work at the faster speed. 

Is there a way i can check for that?

I have heard that some people have to unlock the advanced bios with a special way somewhere.

9 minutes ago, rickje139 said:

Its not showing up because its a brand new model.

Isn't there some type of advanced bios options that i can unlock somewhere possibly?

It shows up, that's a direct copy/paste from their site.  Select Lenovo then paste in your 16achg6 on the model part.