How to reset unknown BIOS password on ASUS ROG GL552VW

So I've this ROG GL552VW laptop from ASUS, and ever since I got it, it has had this BIOS admin password. I never really needed those admin settings on my laptop so never really bothered with that much, until now. I need access to the boot priority settings and that falls under the admin settings. 

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT IS AVAILABLE ONLINE, i.e.

o  removing CMOS battery

o  resetting date to a certain date and then in bios pw window alt + r

o  alt + r in bios pw window (does nothing and inputs an r instead)

o every possible combination of the three above

o entering password incorrectly 3 times (it's supposed to show a reset pw dialogue. it doesn't. it just freezes everything and you need to restart the PC)

So, is there any way to reset it or taking it to ASUS is the only way to go? Is it even possible to reset the password so easily? 

How long did you leave the CMOS battery out? Pull the laptop battery and CMOS battery out and then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then leave the batteries out overnight. In the morning just put them back in and boot into BIOS and see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Mionwang said:

So I've this ROG GL552VW laptop from ASUS, and ever since I got it, it has had this BIOS admin password. I never really needed those admin settings on my laptop so never really bothered with that much, until now. I need access to the boot priority settings and that falls under the admin settings. 

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING THAT IS AVAILABLE ONLINE, i.e.

o  removing CMOS battery

o  resetting date to a certain date and then in bios pw window alt + r

o  alt + r in bios pw window (does nothing and inputs an r instead)

o every possible combination of the three above

o entering password incorrectly 3 times (it's supposed to show a reset pw dialogue. it doesn't. it just freezes everything and you need to restart the PC)

So, is there any way to reset it or taking it to ASUS is the only way to go? Is it even possible to reset the password so easily? 

I would say shorting the clear CMOS Jumper should do the trick...

Removing the CMOS battery will do that to ... 

How long had you disconnected the battery?

Maybe remove it, press the pwr button  for 3 mins and putting it back to remove some leftover energy that keeps the CMOS saved. 

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

How long did you leave the CMOS battery out? Pull the laptop battery and CMOS battery out and then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then leave the batteries out overnight. In the morning just put them back in and boot into BIOS and see what happens.

I guess someone was quicker XD

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, imreloadin said:

Hey! Thanks for the response. I'll perhaps try keeping it overnight someday, but I was kind of running out of time so ended up just formatting and re-installing everything from scratch. I needed access to boot priority to copy a cloned m.2 drive as i don't have an external reader/other means. 
I tried unplugging the battery and keeping it that way for a few hours including holding the power button down for a few minutes to drain the capacitors. Apparently laptops have a more secure bios. No way to short it either. 

• 4 months later...

Hello to everyone. I see I am not the only one in the world with the same problem. 

@Mionwang Did you find any solution?? I have the same exact problem and tried everything. So frustrated. 

Thanks anyways. Hope you found a solution.