Is it okay to use a laptop with a partically broken fan for a day or so until I can get a repair done on it?

Duo01

Here is a summary of my issue:

Currently using this laptop in place of a laptop I'm already getting fixed because the power jack is broken.
However recently my laptop has been making weird noises and I posted here and figured out my fan was bent.
It still THANKFULLY stays cool and doesn't heat up too much.

So here's my dilemma:

I have to finish some stuff tomorrow on my laptop and I should be able to take both of my laptops in for repair.
(I'm taking it to a Ubreakifix)

My HP one - The one with the broken fan.
My Toshiba one - Power jack broke off.

Until then though, should I just be really careful while using it (watching the heat of the laptop and only light web browsing) or should I shut it down and wait?

*sorry if this topic is a mess or it's a stupid question*

Just use it. Modern CPU's have excellent throttling abilities to deal with limited cooling.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

is the broken fan running at all or is it completely stopped? How are the temperatures under load?

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

3 minutes ago, Natty Ice said:

is the broken fan running at all or is it completely stopped? How are the temperatures under load?

The fan is running, it heats up a bit more than it usually would if it wasn't broken.

6 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Just use it. Modern CPU's have excellent throttling abilities to deal with limited cooling.

Alright, thank you.

11 minutes ago, Duo01 said:

Here is a summary of my issue:

Currently using this laptop in place of a laptop I'm already getting fixed because the power jack is broken.
However recently my laptop has been making weird noises and I posted here and figured out my fan was bent.
It still THANKFULLY stays cool and doesn't heat up too much.

So here's my dilemma:

I have to finish some stuff tomorrow on my laptop and I should be able to take both of my laptops in for repair.
(I'm taking it to a Ubreakifix)

My HP one - The one with the broken fan.
My Toshiba one - Power jack broke off.

Until then though, should I just be really careful while using it (watching the heat of the laptop and only light web browsing) or should I shut it down and wait?

*sorry if this topic is a mess or it's a stupid question*

You should be fine just make sure you don't run anything too intensive on it 

Just now, PapaTDaddy said:

You should be fine just make sure you don't run anything too intensive on it 

Thank you, I only plan on web browsing and watching videos for now as that is what I started to do after I figured out it was bent.

can be fine, if you use software to see temps you will maybe see more or if the laptop has good enough cooling from before.

On 4/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, Quackers101 said:

can be fine, if you use software to see temps you will maybe see more or if the laptop has good enough cooling from before.

Hi so update:

I took it to Ubreakifix and they ended up telling me they couldn't replicate what happened. They told me it could be a cooling problem. (Which is understandable. I can get a laptop stand or something to help it cool better.) I ended up taking on of my other laptops in aswell as it had a power jack issue and they were able to fix it with hot glue and got it to charge.