Internet traffic family filtered despite IPv4 being whitelisted, could repeater be responsible?

RainOfPain125

Title. I am upstairs using a wireless repeater to get my internet.

• Internet goes from modem,
  • to router,
  • wirelessly to repeater,
  • then repeater (using ethernet cord) to PC.

My family is using "MyCircle" to filter internet traffic for kids in the home, and have chosen my IPv4 as whitelisted or "adult" mode - no filtering or blocking.

However, I am still being blocked. I suspect this is because the repeater in itself is a network device with an IPv4..? And so, would I need to set the repeater itself to adult mode, and if so,

• How do I figure out its IPv4?
  • How do I block kids who are connected to the router through the repeater?

Model: EX6150v2

My suggestion:  Don't use software like that.

Talk to the kids and teach them what's good and what's bad.  Using software like that will literally only help teach them how to get around it.

It gives you a very false sense of security, and teaches the kids that they have to keep secrets from you.  

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

My suggestion:  Don't use software like that.

Talk to the kids and teach them what's good and what's bad.  Using software like that will literally only help teach them how to get around it.

It gives you a very false sense of security, and teaches the kids that they have to keep secrets from you.  

I am the kid in this situation lol, sorry if that wasn't clear. I agree with everything you've written. REMOVED BY MODs

Edited by GDRRiley
removed polical content

* thread unlocked *

Sorry for the confusion.

To answer your question, it's because of the repeater, the repeater creates it's own wifi network (similar to the one it's extending), and in doing so is acting like a connected device itself from the POV of the main network and any monitoring / blocking software.

Basically, you can't whitelist a device that will be on the repeater's side since the repeater creates his own network, and so the software will only see the repeater, not it's clients.

If you, or your parents want this to work, they'll have to change the network for a mesh-compatible setup.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 5/1/2021 at 7:46 AM, wkdpaul said:

* thread unlocked *

Sorry for the confusion.

To answer your question, it's because of the repeater, the repeater creates it's own wifi network (similar to the one it's extending), and in doing so is acting like a connected device itself from the POV of the main network and any monitoring / blocking software.

Basically, you can't whitelist a device that will be on the repeater's side since the repeater creates his own network, and so the software will only see the repeater, not it's clients.

If you, or your parents want this to work, they'll have to change the network for a mesh-compatible setup.

Thankyou, that makes perfect sense. I figured this was the problem, and I tried to explain how the repeater is probably running as its own device with its own IPv4, but they did not understand what I was trying to convey. Maybe I can copy and paste your words to convey it.

4 minutes ago, RainOfPain125 said:

Thankyou, that makes perfect sense. I figured this was the problem, and I tried to explain how the repeater is probably running as its own device with its own IPv4, but they did not understand what I was trying to convey. Maybe I can copy and paste your words to convey it.

To take the road analogy that is often taken when talking about network, it's similar to having a road that's interrupted by a building or a park. On each side of the building/park, it's the same street (it has the same name and it's going in the same direction), but a cop that is using his radar on one side, won't be able to see cars speeding on the other side because, even if the roads have the same name, they're blocked by infrastructure ;

Main Rd - Building - Main Rd

=================

ext. wifi - repeater - main wifi

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

54 minutes ago, RainOfPain125 said:

Out of curiosity, which LAN IP do you go to in order to set up the EX6150v2?

Also, which subnet is the main router using?

On 4/29/2021 at 2:30 PM, RainOfPain125 said:

I am the kid in this situation lol, sorry if that wasn't clear. I agree with everything you've written. REMOVED BY MODs

Yes I have tried to get around Circle for years. What I've figured out is that if I unplug the router for long enough then reset it it 'forgets' the Circle login and disables filtering for a while.