Looking for an older LTT video

Joduko

There was a video way back where Linus bought something called a thermal adhesive that you could use to adhere heatsinks to things that are meant to be there permanently.

It got my brain turning because I watched a more recent LTT video about how a macbook can be modded to allow the shell to act as a giant heatsink.

I have an older thinkpad that thermal throttles. Now the shell may be plastic, but I see no reason I can't just take a piece of copper lying around and adhere it to the heatpipe internally to try and hold or passively dissipate into the chassis some of that heat giving the default heatsink/fan a bit more breathing room to do its job.

For anyone wondering the thinkpad is a T450s. I like to run World of Tanks on it which makes it run super hot.

Any thoughts? (Sorry if this should maybe be in the laptop section, wasn't sure since the focus of my question is still just about finding that LTT vid)

8 minutes ago, Joduko said:

but I see no reason I can't just take a piece of copper lying around and adhere it to the heatpipe internally to try and hold or passively dissipate into the chassis some of that heat giving the default heatsink/fan a bit more breathing room to do its job.

The issue is: Macbook has almost its entire weight in Aluminum for heat dissipation thanks to its unibody construction. "Piece of Copper" is not exactly good enough compared to a whole body of aluminum. T450 is quite an old beast so i would try basic maintenance (cleaning the fan off dust and repasting it) before you go full extreme.

Anyway, here's your video inquiry

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

There is not enough space inside a T450S for any slab of metal that would make a decent difference. I would do normal maintenance instead (dusting fans, replacing thermal paste with something good like Noctua NT-H1, etc).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I've already done about all the maintenance short of replacing thermal compound. If I can't modify the laptop further in that manner than the only other things I can think of are to replace the sheet of metal I'm using from an old PC case side panel that the laptop sits on when I'm using it with an actual cooling pad with fans or just straight up buy a new more modern laptop. It would be nice to have one with a metal body so that I could mod it in such a manner in the future.

I say try it.  That laptop isn't your main rig, so be bold.  Take lots of photos and have some fun.  I feel like it's a great learning experience.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

The issue is: Macbook has almost its entire weight in Aluminum for heat dissipation thanks to its unibody construction. "Piece of Copper" is not exactly good enough compared to a whole body of aluminum. T450 is quite an old beast so i would try basic maintenance (cleaning the fan off dust and repasting it) before you go full extreme.

Anyway, here's your video inquiry

19 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

There is not enough space inside a T450S for any slab of metal that would make a decent difference. I would do normal maintenance instead (dusting fans, replacing thermal paste with something good like Noctua NT-H1, etc).

19 hours ago, shoutingsteve said:

I say try it.  That laptop isn't your main rig, so be bold.  Take lots of photos and have some fun.  I feel like it's a great learning experience.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

image.png.6238c2a9ed3e3c4a9973b82775eb4628.png

This is my system after playing 3 matches in world of tanks (I play on minimum settings)

As I said the only thing I haven't tried maintenence wise is changing thermal compoud, but I'm kind of skeptical that would be enough on its own with temps like these.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:00 PM, SorryClaire said:

On 4/27/2021 at 10:02 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

On 4/27/2021 at 10:15 PM, shoutingsteve said:

I've done it I changed the thermal compund and added a copper M.2 heatsink to the heatpipe inside the laptop. My new temps after an extended session playing the same game:

unknown.png

I am a god amongst man.
20210504_125124.jpg?width=314&height=558

20210504_132342.jpg

20210504_133147.jpg

20210504_140648.jpg

20210504_150110.jpg

Photo dump of pictures I took during the process
Included are some pictures of the new heatsink and compared to the default heatsink already in the system.
I showed the die+ cooler mounting before and after cleaning.
And I showed the look of the bottom of the laptop with the new heatsink on the heatpipe directly over the die.
Including where you can see the heatsink through the vent.

But the solution wasn't perfect. The heatsink was only 4mm tall, but it was still a tight fit in the laptop. As a result there is a slight bulge where it presses against the bottom panel.

And when in use the bottom of the laptop becomes so hot, it almost hurts to touch.

A small price to pay for salvation.