If I water cool my 3080, can I tip my computer sideways?

TheReaktion

Apologies in advance for what may be the dumbest question ever posted to the LTT forums... I've never water cooled anything before so I'd like to get some background info before I jump in.

I have an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra. I just bought the Hybrid Water Cooling Kit for it. I've watched a few YouTube videos of people installing this and think I can handle it. With that said, a few questions.

• I'm using a full tower case, but it's tipped sideways so it fits underneath my tv stand. (Well, it mostly fits... I propped the stand up a bit with my wife's used LUSH cosmetics containers). Anyway, there's plenty of airflow under there. The issue is that the radiator would be pointing out the side of the case instead of out the top. Is this going to cause me any issues?

• None of the videos I watched covered how to fill with water. I assume I just use distilled?

• I didn't see a pump in any of the youtube videos I watched. Again, is this something I have to buy separately?

Thanks in advance everyone!

1 minute ago, TheReaktion said:

I didn't see a pump in any of the youtube videos I watched. Again, is this something I have to buy separately?

The pump should be built in to the unit (pic 4 of 8, shows the copper bloc, and the pump is within that area)

The orientation of the radiator makes a huge difference.

Watch this video for an explanation

That unit you linked to, is an AIO, already pre-filled, just plug in and go (in effect, don't forget the cooling paste, etc)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, TheReaktion said:
  • I'm using a full tower case, but it's tipped sideways so it fits underneath my tv stand. (Well, it mostly fits... I propped the stand up a bit with my wife's used LUSH cosmetics containers). Anyway, there's plenty of airflow under there. The issue is that the radiator would be pointing out the side of the case instead of out the top. Is this going to cause me any issues?

• None of the videos I watched covered how to fill with water. I assume I just use distilled?

A few things;

As radium said, it's pre-filled so don't worry about a pump or filling the loop. The one linked is equivalent of a CPU all-in-one cooler which is already set up and ready to go, you just have to mount it. Depending on how extreme your tilt is, you should be okay as long as the pump is staying saturated with fluid at all times.

It shouldn't be an issue assuming you mount your radiator correctly. I would suggest the top of your case or at least having the radiator inlet/outlet above the pump. I would definitely refer to the video that Radium sent, it's great information.

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 9 5900X, ASUS TUF RTX 4080

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

I just watched the video and that makes a ton of sense. Thanks for your help! Also, thanks for not flaming me and telling me I'm an idiot. 🙂

42 minutes ago, TheReaktion said:

I just watched the video and that makes a ton of sense. Thanks for your help! Also, thanks for not flaming me and telling me I'm an idiot. 🙂

We are nice people here, we don't do things like that.

Stick around LTT forums, we have good people here and lots of knowledge to share

And post pics of your rig when it's all setup. We like things like that!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.