Cisco versus Ubiquiti

Nathanlauj

Good evening everyone!

The current setup is a Cisco switch, and Ubiquiti AP's. I'm looking to upgrade the hardware over time. This is in a business with about 150-200 users.

Do you think I should go all Cisco or all Ubiquiti?

What's better in the long run?
Has Ubiquiti caught up to Cisco?

My experience with Cisco goes as far as Cisco Meraki and deploying those.

If I were to go Cisco - I would go for my CCNA/P to learn more about the Cisco products and how to configure them properly.

Thank you in advance!

If this is a setup for your home I think you're fine with either but if your plan is using CISCO enterprise equipment expect to pay a lot more over Ubiquiti alternatives.

If you're in it for the learning experience going into CCNA/CCNP isn't a bad idea if you're good at memorizing acronyms but if it's just to setup your home network there's more cost effective ways of going about that.

of this is for home, just get whatever will save you the most money. Both are obviously really good and you (probably) aren't using those features that are super advanced anyway. so just get whatever is cheaper since both will do almost exactly the same thing. 

if this is for work, having a unified solution is much better especially when troubleshooting with a time constraint. but this will cost you way more money

I rarely use Cisco for home/small business use, its expensive and it does not offer any cutting edge advantage over the other competitors in the segments, in this case my personal preference as an IT pro would be Ubiquiti.  

8 hours ago, Nathanlauj said:

Good evening everyone!

The current setup is a Cisco switch, and Ubiquiti AP's. I'm looking to upgrade the hardware over time. This is in a business with about 150-200 users.

Do you think I should go all Cisco or all Ubiquiti?

What's better in the long run?
Has Ubiquiti caught up to Cisco?

My experience with Cisco goes as far as Cisco Meraki and deploying those.

If I were to go Cisco - I would go for my CCNA/P to learn more about the Cisco products and how to configure them properly.

Thank you in advance!

Then Meraki without question. I wouldn't be touching Ubiquiti with a 50ft pole for business use these days as they have issues with firmware updates causing no end of issues. Do a search through Reddit or their support forums and you'll find lots of people complaining about various connectivity issues with different wireless devices, DHCP timeout and failures etc.

If you're looking for simple to manage then go with Meraki. While yes, it is expensive, Cisco isn't that cheap either especially when you factor in a matching support contract (if comparing apples with apples against Meraki). 

Aruba would be the other alternative I'd recommend but again, configuration & skill will be an issue. If you know Meraki then stick with it.

12 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Then Meraki without question. I wouldn't be touching Ubiquiti with a 50ft pole for business use these days as they have issues with firmware updates causing no end of issues. Do a search through Reddit or their support forums and you'll find lots of people complaining about various connectivity issues with different wireless devices, DHCP timeout and failures etc.

If you're looking for simple to manage then go with Meraki. While yes, it is expensive, Cisco isn't that cheap either especially when you factor in a matching support contract (if comparing apples with apples against Meraki). 

Aruba would be the other alternative I'd recommend but again, configuration & skill will be an issue. If you know Meraki then stick with it.

Meraki, Meraki Go, or the Aruba Go equivalent is my vote as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You are not giving us enough information to make an informed recommendation.

Cisco vs Ubiquiti is like asking Tesla vs Kawasaki. It doesn't really mean anything unless you specify which products you are looking at and what you are going to use them for.