What tablet should I buy?

Hey guys, I'm not sure what tablet I can buy that would allow me to read my books (Books I got from Humble Bundle) easily and comfortably, the tablet should be affordable as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards

PrimeMinister

Yep, iPad. The base iPads are relatively cheap with brilliant screens and last for years. If you want to use it a lot, then the iPad Air or even Pro are options too. Getting an iPad also gives you peace of mind that you'll get software updates and that the apps you want will support the tablet for years to come, unlike with an Android tablet.

Take a look at the base 10.2 inch iPad - iPad 10.2-inch - Apple (UK)

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

1 hour ago, PrimeMinister said:

Hey guys, I'm not sure what tablet I can buy that would allow me to read my books (Books I got from Humble Bundle) easily and comfortably, the tablet should be affordable as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards

PrimeMinister

Gonna echo the iPad recommendation. It's speedy, it's uncomplicated, and it has the largest tablet app ecosystem by a long mile. So long as it's within your budget (it's R5,999 when new), you'll likely be happy.

There are some decent Android tablets in that price range or lower that will handle reading well enough, but they typically lack the performance or ecosystems.

It depends, what size do you want? What are you more familiar with? What type of phone do you have? Would it be better if it were similar to yours? Do you want a desktop OS or mobile?

I'd also say it might be helpful to stop by the store and get your hand on a few, you might not find the table

1 hour ago, Source Slayer said:

It depends, what size do you want? What are you more familiar with? What type of phone do you have? Would it be better if it were similar to yours? Do you want a desktop OS or mobile?

I'd also say it might be helpful to stop by the store and get your hand on a few, you might not find the table

Given that there's a pandemic, going to a store and putting your hands on things other people recently touched probably isn't a wise idea.

9 hours ago, Source Slayer said:

7 to 8 inch with a good ppi, I have a Samsung Galaxy A10s, I guess it would be better if it were similar, OS type doesn't matter

9 hours ago, Source Slayer said:

Did stop by the store closest to me, they only had one tablet, that I couldn't afford

15 hours ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

Yep, iPad. The base iPads are relatively cheap with brilliant screens and last for years. If you want to use it a lot, then the iPad Air or even Pro are options too. Getting an iPad also gives you peace of mind that you'll get software updates and that the apps you want will support the tablet for years to come, unlike with an Android tablet.

Take a look at the base 10.2 inch iPad - iPad 10.2-inch - Apple (UK)

15 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

An iPad

14 hours ago, Commodus said:

Gonna echo the iPad recommendation. It's speedy, it's uncomplicated, and it has the largest tablet app ecosystem by a long mile. So long as it's within your budget (it's R5,999 when new), you'll likely be happy.

There are some decent Android tablets in that price range or lower that will handle reading well enough, but they typically lack the performance or ecosystems.

Yup, iPad is way out of my budget and well, I tend to have a dislike of Apple products. So an Android tablet would work the best for me, my max budget is R3500 (177 USD).

6 hours ago, PrimeMinister said:

Yup, iPad is way out of my budget and well, I tend to have a dislike of Apple products. So an Android tablet would work the best for me, my max budget is R3500 (177 USD).

Ah, that budget is definitely an important consideration. I'd be tempted to get the 8-inch Galaxy Tab A (R2,499 brand new) in that case. It's not cutting edge, but it's a good size for reading, should be powerful enough, and likely has at least another year of OS updates.

I use a 8" Mi Pad 4 for my ebook library, including PlayBook/Kindle/Dark Horse, also great for watching my ripped movies (since it's got a mSD expansion slot) as well as listening to music on Spotify and my collection of MP3's/FLAC/WAV/DSD with my iBasso  DC02 audio dongle. It's a 64GB/4GB version, with a 512GB mSD card for content storage. The Mi Pad 4 has a screen res of 1200x1920 which is pretty good for movies (my collection of ripped MKV movies) as well as for reading (I have it on 'Reading Mode'). Only thing I dislike about the Mi Pad 4 is the lack of a FP unlock, it's either face unlock or via number code. Heard the Mi Pad 5 will have the FP unlock function.

Can't comment on iPad as I'm a pure Android guy. For when I want a bigger screen, I'd use my Samsung S5e for Netflix, movies....basically same usage scenario as my Mi Pad 4. Oh yeah, only minus, for the Mi Pad 4 is that I can't get NF in HD, just 480P I think. I don't mind as I'd use it only when I'm watching NF in bed (easier to hold than the S5e, that's for sure).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

Ah, that budget is definitely an important consideration. I'd be tempted to get the 8-inch Galaxy Tab A (R2,499 brand new) in that case. It's not cutting edge, but it's a good size for reading, should be powerful enough, and likely has at least another year of OS updates.

I was considering the Tab A but I hesitated. As long as the new tablet I'm buying is better than a Vodafone Smart Tab 3G (my old tablet from 2012/2013), I'm happy.