My GPU stopped working, can it be fixed?

Nipplenator

Hello, so i had my GPU stop working recently, an of course, I don't have enough money to get a new one so i thought I could fix this one.

My gpu is a Gigabyte 1080ti Aorus Xtreme.

After a few hour of troubleshooting I figured out the following:

The PC will not start at all when the gpu is plugged in and poth 8pin power connectors are connected.
It will however, if out pull out the outer connector in particular (the one on the very end of the board).
I tried to play around with cables, plugging them in to different connection on the psu, swapping them on the gpu too, tried another psu. Its just that one connector that does not want to cooperate.
The gpu fans do spin up and all lights light up too.
If any of the power connectors on the gpu are not connected, the gpu recognizes it and an indicator will light up on the gpu.
The gpu isnt showing up in Device Manager.

Any suggestions?

Might not be such a great idea but I would disassembly the GPU and would check the soldering for each pin of the connector. Maybe you have a cold soldering spot.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

and try to heat the connector  with heat-gun and maybe the thermal paste is dry try to change it

4 minutes ago, frenkensteinPC said:

and try to heat the connector  with heat-gun and maybe the thermal paste is dry try to change it

Wrong way to go about it -  A heat gun for this would be overkill.
We're not taking about an actual baking of the card, instead just heating up the 8 pin power connection spots on the PCB and nothing else.

You need to use an actual soldering iron at these connection spots to hopefully reflow the solder and fix a potential cold solder joint issue.
Depending on the age of the card a re-TIM of it won't hurt as long as it's done correctly.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

maybe psu is geting weaker over time! even reflow or soldriron do the trick the psu is the heart of the system troublshooting start there 

9 minutes ago, frenkensteinPC said:

maybe psu is geting weaker over time! even reflow or soldriron do the trick the psu is the heart of the system troublshooting start there 

PSU is fine, its brand spanking new and i tested 3 psus altogether, all know to be working. Two of them plenty powerfull - a SF750 and a GX850.

I do not own a soldering iron, i can give that a try, I have a friend who does.
Tho when i was checking the board for any phsical issues, it seemed to be in good condition, the solder on the 8pins looked good to me. 

high tdp card need high performance thermal paste so if its geting older try replacing the paste if its not the problem then you cant fixed alone you need someone expert fixing electronics he can inject voltage in the card and determine the broken part like choke vrm or condensator etc ...

24 minutes ago, Nipplenator said:

PSU is fine, its brand spanking new and i tested 3 psus altogether, all know to be working. Two of them plenty powerfull - a SF750 and a GX850.

I do not own a soldering iron, i can give that a try, I have a friend who does.
Tho when i was checking the board for any phsical issues, it seemed to be in good condition, the solder on the 8pins looked good to me

A visual inspection normally won't show anything to that end unless the solder job was just poorly done in the first place.
Get them to reflow these spots and try it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Just now, Beerzerker said:

A visual inspection normally won't show anything to that end unless the solder job was just poorly done in the first place.
Get them to reflow these spots and try it.

Contacted a local repair shop that is known to be good at fixing pc parts.
Unfortunately, Miners flooded their shop with broken gpu's so ill have to wait two weeks before they can even diagnose mine 😞 
Man.. this s*cks.