Need help repairing my gaming headphones.

razorr16

Hey guys,

I have a HyperX Cloud Stinger gaming headset and the issue with it is, the audio is breaking a lot whenever i use the headphone. Its not just the audio but my mic. The wires are damaged due to me having a really bad habit of biting when i get nervous in the past and i don't really know how exactly to repair it. Sometimes it works correctly when I try to twist and straighten the wires.

I really cant buy another gaming headphone right now and I was hoping somebody could help me fix it. I've attached some pictures on exactly how the wires are damaged.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-24 at 1.56.55 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-24 at 1.56.55 PM.jpeg

Edited by razorr16
Added some info on troubleshooting

38 minutes ago, razorr16 said:

i don't really know how exactly to repair it

Besides from soldering new wires in, not really. You can try to wrap it tight with electrical tape and shrink wrap it and hope that all the leads connects albeit haphazardly, but thats a damage i would just try to fix by changing the wires entirely.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

51 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Besides from soldering new wires in, not really. You can try to wrap it tight with electrical tape and shrink wrap it and hope that all the leads connects albeit haphazardly, but thats a damage i would just try to fix by changing the wires entirely.

Okay then would removing the wire insulation completely and taping with insulation tape is worth a try? I mean i dont have anything to lose at this point.

19 minutes ago, razorr16 said:

Okay then would removing the wire insulation completely and taping with insulation tape is worth a try? I mean i dont have anything to lose at this point.

Its worth a shot, bend the copper around to touch each other matching colored wire then tape it on and hope for the best.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Splicing 4 gauge aux wires is really really difficult and finicky, I would try to soldier a new one in if I were you.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

1 hour ago, razorr16 said:

I wouldnt remove all of it just clean the hole up and tape over. But if any of the inner cables insulation is damage it wont solve the problem.

If any of the inside cables or even the outer shielding cable is damage youll have to replace the cable.
It be easier to disassembleble to headphones and remove the damaged wire and just resolder a new wire to the drivers.
This guy does a similar thing instead of adding a jack port just run a new wire through the whole.