Miracast over 5 Ghz

fissilecore

I often cast movies from my laptop to a TV but it introduces stuttering and artifacts. So I wonder what's the limiting factor: the standard itself, 2.4 Ghz bandwidth or TV Wi-Fi module? If both the laptop and TV support 5 Ghz can I somehow force them to connect only through it?

1 hour ago, fissilecore said:

I often cast movies from my laptop to a TV but it introduces stuttering and artifacts. So I wonder what's the limiting factor: the standard itself, 2.4 Ghz bandwidth or TV Wi-Fi module? If both the laptop and TV support 5 Ghz can I somehow force them to connect only through it?

To transmit/receive over 5GHz, all devices in the network must have a 5GHz radio/antenna.

What is the make/model of your TV? What is the make/model of the WiFi adapter on the laptop?

This will involve some setup on your part and a little knowledge of your router/access point. 

I have the 2.4Ghz radio on my router completely disabled as you can adjust them independently on many routers. Log into your router and maybe setup both radio's with slightly different SSID's then connect all the devices you want to whichever radio you prefer they use. 

33 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

To transmit/receive over 5GHz, all devices in the network must have a 5GHz radio/antenna.

What is the make/model of your TV? What is the make/model of the WiFi adapter on the laptop?

For TV it's LG 42LB650V (pretty sure it supports 802.11n standard), WiFi module is AX210. I was thinking of upgrading my router to 5Ghz but isn't Miracast connects both devices directly?

8 hours ago, fissilecore said:

For TV it's LG 42LB650V (pretty sure it supports 802.11n standard), WiFi module is AX210. I was thinking of upgrading my router to 5Ghz but isn't Miracast connects both devices directly?

Yes, your TV should be able to connect to WiFi on 5GHz, although this will be limited to wireless-N (WiFi 4) speeds.

After some reading, it seems that Miracast initiates a direct connection via a 2.4GHz signal first and may transition to using 5GHz if available/supported. But you have to make sure that whichever frequency you're using isn't being interfered by your neighbour's WiFi.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 doesn't allow much to be configured when you're setting up a hotspot or using Miracast. It defaults to a 20MHz bandwidth which will likely get you up to 100-150Mbps. So minimizing the range to the cast device will be the best you can do.

Out of curiosity, if you run the following command from the command prompt, what does it return?

netsh int tcp show global

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Out of curiosity, if you run the following command from the command prompt, what does it return?

netsh int tcp show global

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State          : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : default
ECN Capability                      : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled
Initial RTO                         : 1000
Receive Segment Coalescing State    : enabled
Non Sack Rtt Resiliency             : disabled
Max SYN Retransmissions             : 4
Fast Open                           : enabled
Fast Open Fallback                  : enabled
HyStart                             : enabled
Proportional Rate Reduction         : enabled
Pacing Profile                      : off

After doing some more searching I stumbled upon an article that says direct connection (without router) can only utilize 2.4Ghz and you need a router to connect via 5Ghz (probably to offload some data through it). I don't mind upgrading my router but will it definitely improve connection and eliminate lags?

Receive Segment Coalescing State    : enabled

Run the following command to disable and reboot...

netsh int tcp set global rsc=disabled

I don't mind upgrading my router but will it definitely improve connection and eliminate lags?

Honestly, I can't guarantee that will work. But if you're coming from a wireless router that only supports 2.4GHz, a router from the WiFi 5 generation or better would be a significant upgrade overall.

To eliminate streaming lag completely, nothing beats an ethernet connection. On one of my older "smart" TVs that only had WiFi, I got the ethernet adapter for the Amazon Fire Stick and, while it can't do full gigabit, 100Mbps is more than enough for streaming and casting. And I don't get any lag.

BTW, I don't use Miracast. Streaming through my WiFi network works just fine for 1080p and 2160p content.