Is an 80+ gold power supply good enough for a 3060ti and a ryzen 7 3700x.

Nerdmart54

The title kind of says it all, I don't know if I will need to get a power supply with more wattage for my 3060ti and ryzen 7 3700x. The current power supply I have on my list is a 80+ gold 650 power supply from corsair.

1 minute ago, Nerdmart54 said:

The title kind of says it all, I don't know if I will need to get a power supply with more wattage for my 3060ti and ryzen 7 3700x. The current power supply I have on my list is a 80+ gold 650 power supply from corsair.

yes and it does not need to be gold. it can be any rating as long as 80+ and 650 is good for that combo

Just now, Aakash_Ram said:

yes and it does not need to be gold. it can be any rating as long as 80+ and 650 is good for that combo

Ok thank you I think I am going to go with 80+ gold because It will fit in my budget and I think it would be good because I heard that 3000 series cards draw a lot of power. 

Just now, Nerdmart54 said:

Ok thank you I think I am going to go with 80+ gold because It will fit in my budget and I think it would be good because I heard that 3000 series cards draw a lot of power. 

yea if its in ur budget do it. if u can u should get a Ryzen 5 5600x or a 5800x depending on price (idk was a 3700x costs)

2 minutes ago, Nerdmart54 said:

4 minutes ago, Aakash_Ram said:

Ehm, no.

Efficiency rating is not dependent on quality. There can be amazing quality PSUs that are only 80% peak efficiency, and crap PSUs that have 97% peak efficiency.

OP, I'd get a Tier A or B 650W unit from this list:

elephants

The ryzen 7 3700x cost just around $320 usd. would the ryzen 5 5600x be better?

5 minutes ago, Aakash_Ram said:

Completely false. There are plenty of terrible quality 80+ Units, many are potentially dangerous.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

Completely false. There are plenty of terrible quality 80+ Units, many are potentially dangerous.

The one that is on my list is a corsair rm 80+ gold 650 w fully modular power supply.

The one that is on my list is a corsair rm 80+ gold 650 w fully modular power supply.

Yes, thats a very high quality power supply. You'll be fine. Just stay away from the other persons recommendation of "any 80+ psu". The rm series is good so you'll be fine

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Aakash_Ram said:

yea if its in ur budget do it. if u can u should get a Ryzen 5 5600x or a 5800x depending on price (idk was a 3700x costs)

I think the 5600x would be out of my budget, is the 3700x good enough. 

Actually you may want another PSU, there ae much cheaper PSUS of similar quality that are also 650W.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, Nerdmart54 said:

The ryzen 7 3700x cost just around $320 usd. would the ryzen 5 5600x be better?

Absolutely if you're gonna pay $320 for the 3700x. I'd just get the 5600x instead.

1 minute ago, Nerdmart54 said:

I'm using the 3700x/3060Ti combo with the 750w Corsair RM 2019. Smooth as butter on my end. You will be fine.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Just now, davemc said:

Yes, thats a very high quality power supply. You'll be fine. Just stay away from the other persons recommendation of "any 80+ psu". The rm series is good so you'll be fine

Ok thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Nerdmart54 said:

Gold certification has little to do with power.

It means how efficient the psu is at providing your 650W of power.

But I have Gold too. It usually has the best cost/perf ratio.

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Okay, well thats a good unit. You should be fine, although always remember that 80+ Gold doesn't always equal quality. Just means that it has good efficency

Ok thank you for the tip. 

damn I thought u would be able to read between the lines obviously there can be crappy ones but I was mostly talking about reputable brands

damn I thought u would be able to read between the lines obviously there can be crappy ones but I was mostly talking about reputable brands

??? This is the dumbest excuse ive ever heard.

12 minutes ago, Aakash_Ram said:

it can be any rating as long as 80+ and 650 is good for that combo

This is what you said. How is a potential buyer supposed to know not to go on amazon and buy some crap chinese power supply thats 80+ white and will blow up?

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

Brand =/= quality as well. Seasonic is capable of producing amazing PSUs and crappy ones.

Also, it's quite hard to "read between the lines" with text. There's no way to really tell the "voice" that someone's talking in, meaning that most of the meaning that the spoken word can convey is lost. It's why we have things such as /s, /j, etc.

elephants

2 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Absolutely if you're gonna pay $320 for the 3700x. I'd just get the 5600x instead.

I'm using the 3700x/3060Ti combo with the 750w Corsair RM 2019. Smooth as butter on my end. You will be fine.

OK i am not ordering the parts for a couple of days so I can try to afford the 5600x. how much more performance would I see with the 5600x rather that the 3700x.

OK i am not ordering the parts for a couple of days so I can try to afford the 5600x. how much more performance would I see with the 5600x rather that the 3700x.

Its a pretty decent bump. The 5600x restocks pretty regularly so you should be able to snag it for 300-330

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, davemc said:

This is what you said. How is a potential buyer supposed to know not to go on amazon and buy some crap chinese power supply thats 80+ white and will blow up?

sorry okay jezz I think that nobody is dumb enough to do what u suggested

I think I know enough to get a good brand like corsair, evga, or seasonic.