What are some of the best X299 boards?

I've heard a fair bit about X299 boards sucking some royal ass, well some of them that is. So My question is, what are the some better boards that don't cause issues?

X299-Prime from asus seems to be the good shit, albeit pretty old.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

52 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

X299-Prime from asus seems to be the good shit, albeit pretty old.

I mean, paried with a 10Th gen X-series CPU. It would hold it's own, also how do you know this? just curious

4 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

how do you know this? just curious

Asus' Prime series been known for having a really good power delivery without that much crummy RGB stuff and all that. And a lot of early X299 test benches and testings are with that board.

5 minutes ago, Nexblitzer said:

I mean, paried with a 10Th gen X-series CPU. It would hold it's own

Compared to mainstream CPUs right now? No. 10th gen X CPU is about to be 2 years old soon, and overall its beaten in both gaming and productivity even to something like Ryzen 9 5950x. There is a case to be made in the used market, but the power consumption is so high, its like recommending old titan series as alternative to new GPUs. Yes its possible, but youll run to other problems sooner.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

12 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Asus' Prime series been known for having a really good power delivery without that much crummy RGB stuff and all that. And a lot of early X299 test benches and testings are with that board.

Compared to mainstream CPUs right now? No. 10th gen X CPU is about to be 2 years old soon, and overall its beaten in both gaming and productivity even to something like Ryzen 9 5950x. There is a case to be made in the used market, but the power consumption is so high, its like recommending old titan series as alternative to new GPUs. Yes its possible, but youll run to other problems sooner.

The thing that makes the 10th gen X series appealing is the 48 PCIE Gen 3 lanes. As someone who wants to be a streamer in the future and experiments with multicam based capture cards like The newly released Camlink pro, Or deck link 4 HDMI, Having those extra lanes at that cost, isn't all to bad. Where i live in Australia for a Threadripper chip (Which has more PCIE Gen 4 based lanes ) costs over 2K for the chip alone, as well as nearly 1K for the motherboards. Compared the X series chips, which can be had for half the cost, Not bad all things considered, even if they are slower in overall compute based tasks. I would mostly use it for dedicated streaming PC based needs, where insane performance, isn't absolutely necessary.

1 hour ago, Nexblitzer said:

Having those extra lanes at that cost, isn't all to bad.

But the thing is: you dont need it.

Both 4K60 capture and Camlink pro only need 4x lane each, basically the same as an m.2 SSD. If we talking Ryzen based system, Itll light up all of the pcie lanes if you slap in a GPU with 16x lanes dedicated, but you can switch to 8x mode and have 8x left from the CPU to play with, with not that much performance harm. And Chipsets also have PCIE lanes that can be dedicated to pcie devices, now granted itll have latency penalty, but its better than it not functioning at all

Availability may be a pretty big deciding factor for you, especially if you're wanting to buy new down under. Most resellers aren't stocking many options for X299 boards. 

They seem to have two types of X299 boards now. The original X299 and then newer models listed as X299-X or similar. 

The newer models just seem to offer newer WIFI and / or LAN chipsets, but nothing of major consequence. 

I have been using a Gigabyte X299 Aorus Ultra Gaming for a few years now. Used with a 7820x originally, and now a 10980xe. I am not trying to push high overclocks or anything that would overly stress the board, but it has been rock solid for almost 3 years now. 

3 hours ago, DogKnight said:

Availability may be a pretty big deciding factor for you, especially if you're wanting to buy new down under. Most resellers aren't stocking many options for X299 boards. 

They seem to have two types of X299 boards now. The original X299 and then newer models listed as X299-X or similar. 

The newer models just seem to offer newer WIFI and / or LAN chipsets, but nothing of major consequence. 

I have been using a Gigabyte X299 Aorus Ultra Gaming for a few years now. Used with a 7820x originally, and now a 10980xe. I am not trying to push high overclocks or anything that would overly stress the board, but it has been rock solid for almost 3 years now. 

I was looking at that board, doesn't seem all to bad. And yeah availability isn't a major issue, more so a minor one. Good to gear dude,