Lower tier gaming PC?-Fine Tuning

azraelb

Budget (including currency): Ideally under $1000 USD. PC Part Picker has total at $580 so far with parts listed below.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Dedicated gaming pc for games laptop cant handle too well. Mainly online multiplayers. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor, ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory, HP EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, EVGA GD (2019) 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply, Deepcool MATREXX 50 ATX Mid Tower Case. From the $800 PC build video. Don't know if I'm missing anything other than the graphics card. 

Second, I have a HP Pavilion elite that has just the motherboard missing. If that is salvageable, some advice would be appreciated.

It also has some hard drives I was wondering if could put into new pc. I can pull it back apart to check them if needed.

Lastly, I have a slim  hard drive and another piece (which idk) from an older Lenovo laptop that has been sitting on my shelf for a while now, would like to know they are useable? 

Help and advice is much appreciated. 

4 minutes ago, azraelb said:

PC Part Picker has total at $580 so far with parts listed below.

You could use the copy paste links in this field. Itll make other users have an easier time to edit your build.image.png.5de30b4d9e43099022757a73c25be052.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Okay a few questions you need to answer:

Do you need a Monitor?

Keyboard and Mouse?

(If yes, make sure to budget for them)

Anyways:

Solid CPU choice
Board:  See if you can wiggle up to a 500 series?  That way you can later upgrade to a 5000 series CPU as a direct upgrade

RAM:  2x 8GB is generally better than 1x16GB

PSU:  Depending on your GPU, this may be a bit light.  Look more towards 600 if you can?  (But on the lower/mid end GPU, you're probably more than fine)

Case:  Perfectly Fine

GPU:  Good Luck

Possibly missing:  CPU Cooler, unless using AMD Stock

One option you have, you could look at an Intel i5 10400 or 10500, and not get a GPU for the moment?  Since GPUs are insane stupid.

1000 is midrange, don’t let the 3090 owners tell you it’s low end

if you don’t have a graphics card already I would opt for an i5 10400 or i5 10700 and a b460 motherboard.

also, regardless of whether you go intel or amd make sure your Ram is 2 channels, i.e 8x2 or 16x2. If you have 2 sticks you will have more Ram bandwidth 

4 hours ago, azraelb said:

Budget (including currency): Ideally under $1000 USD. PC Part Picker has total at $580 so far with parts listed below.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Dedicated gaming pc for games laptop cant handle too well. Mainly online multiplayers. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor, ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory, HP EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, EVGA GD (2019) 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply, Deepcool MATREXX 50 ATX Mid Tower Case. From the $800 PC build video. Don't know if I'm missing anything other than the graphics card. 

Second, I have a HP Pavilion elite that has just the motherboard missing. If that is salvageable, some advice would be appreciated.

It also has some hard drives I was wondering if could put into new pc. I can pull it back apart to check them if needed.

Lastly, I have a slim  hard drive and another piece (which idk) from an older Lenovo laptop that has been sitting on my shelf for a while now, would like to know they are useable? 

Help and advice is much appreciated. 

Go for( 2x8) 16gb rather than one single 16 gb because running in dual channel mode will help in distributing the work load and will give you better fps

16 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

You could use the copy paste links in this field. Itll make other users have an easier time to edit your build.image.png.5de30b4d9e43099022757a73c25be052.png

Thank you. 

16 hours ago, curiousmind34 said:

1000 is midrange, don’t let the 3090 owners tell you it’s low end

if you don’t have a graphics card already I would opt for an i5 10400 or i5 10700 and a b460 motherboard.

also, regardless of whether you go intel or amd make sure your Ram is 2 channels, i.e 8x2 or 16x2. If you have 2 sticks you will have more Ram bandwidth 

If I have the room in the budget, should I go ahead and get more sticks of ram? Should I only add if I can fil up all the slots, i.e. wait to get 4 instead of having 3?

16 hours ago, tkitch said:

Okay a few questions you need to answer:

Do you need a Monitor?

Keyboard and Mouse?

(If yes, make sure to budget for them)

Anyways:

Solid CPU choice
Board:  See if you can wiggle up to a 500 series?  That way you can later upgrade to a 5000 series CPU as a direct upgrade

RAM:  2x 8GB is generally better than 1x16GB

PSU:  Depending on your GPU, this may be a bit light.  Look more towards 600 if you can?  (But on the lower/mid end GPU, you're probably more than fine)

Case:  Perfectly Fine

GPU:  Good Luck

Possibly missing:  CPU Cooler, unless using AMD Stock

One option you have, you could look at an Intel i5 10400 or 10500, and not get a GPU for the moment?  Since GPUs are insane stupid.

I have my peripherals, cheap logitech wireless but they have served me well so far.

I am going with the stock cooler. 

Several suggestions for the intel, do they have an integrated gpu?

Updated:

Would it be worth going i7 instead of i5?

17 minutes ago, azraelb said:

Updated:

Would it be worth going i7 instead of i5?

cpu is overpriced and board doesn't have good features, I would go 11500 + b560

16 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

cpu is overpriced and board doesn't have good features, I would go 11500 + b560

Whoops, changed the list as soon as I posted it

Would it be worth upgrading to an i7 instead of i5?

1 minute ago, azraelb said:

Whoops, changed the list as soon as I posted it

Would it be worth upgrading to an i7 instead of i5?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dLkWGX/asus-prime-b560-plus-atx-lga1200-motherboard-prime-b560-plus the motherboard should not be more expensive than your cpu
It depends, for just gaming you dont need an i7

Just realized that the part from my old laptop was a m.2 ssd. Its like an inch and a half long. Is that usable in any way?

41 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dLkWGX/asus-prime-b560-plus-atx-lga1200-motherboard-prime-b560-plus the motherboard should not be more expensive than your cpu
It depends, for just gaming you dont need an i7

Is there comparable difference between the b560 -Plus and the -A? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ybjBD3/asus-prime-b560m-a-micro-atx-lga1200-motherboard-prime-b560m-a

2 hours ago, azraelb said:

you can do way better in that storage department, and 10400 is limited to 2666mhz regardless.

Those 2 savings gets you a better case to work in.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

16 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

you can do way better in that storage department, and 10400 is limited to 2666mhz regardless.

Is there any other difference in the ssds besides the $12 for 12gb?

What do mean by better case? I don't really care for the side window.

51 minutes ago, azraelb said:

Is there any other difference in the ssds besides the $12 for 12gb?

Believe it or not, you wont see those 12 gigs in the real world due to something called Overprovisioning.

52 minutes ago, azraelb said:

What do mean by better case?

Better airflow and a higher quality material and accessories. Its just more pleasant to work with a good case, but if youre fine with the pain train, you can save those money for a mass storage mechanical hard drive.

17 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Not on b560.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

39 minutes ago, Downkey said:

What is the differences in the -A and the -PLUS motherboards?

2 minutes ago, azraelb said:

What is the differences in the -A and the -PLUS motherboards?

Okay. So -PLUS motherboards are just ASUS naming things. The Plus just has to mean the size. Wdym by the "a"

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

Okay. So -PLUS motherboards are just ASUS naming things. The Plus just has to mean the size. Wdym by the "a"

The board I got is the ASUS Prime B560-A. The one you have suggested is the ASUS Prime B560-PLUS. Some else suggested the -PLUS board.

Is there a difference between these two boards?

Just now, azraelb said:

The board I got is the ASUS Prime B560-A. The one you have suggested is the ASUS Prime B560-PLUS. Some else suggested the -PLUS board.

Is there a difference between these two boards?

Nothing major, both will be fine. Only real difference is the size. One is ATX and one is mATX

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

56 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Believe it or not, you wont see those 12 gigs in the real world due to something called Overprovisioning.

Better airflow and a higher quality material and accessories. Its just more pleasant to work with a good case, but if youre fine with the pain train, you can save those money for a mass storage mechanical hard drive.

I started with the $800 build video. So wouldn't it be better to get the 512 and have 12 or so allocated for overprovisioning, and have 500 then to start at 500 and have less?

I have some hdds left over from a HP pavilion elite. I was thinking about rebuilding that thing to flip it or scrapping it for parts.