My friend can't use ethernet on his PC

Kanna

My friend just got home after a few days and now ethernet doesn't work just says unidentified network, he has the cable plugged into the wall port that has worked before (see images below)

20210420_212156.jpg

20210420_212220.jpg

20210420_212235.jpg

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Run cmd in admin, then ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew.

If that doesn't work, try downloading the latest driver for the device from another computer then put it on a thumb drive and dump it on his computer, then install it. 

Also have any of the basics been checked out? (rebooting router? checking to see if other devices have internet in his home?)

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

My Swedish is a tad rusty but it looks like the NIC can't get an IP address, correct?

Couple of things to try:

Different cable

Different port on router

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

My Swedish is a tad rusty but it looks like the NIC can't get an IP address, correct?

Couple of things to try:

Different cable

Different port on router

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Different cable I don't think is available port on router well idk how that would go since as mentioned he uses the ethernet jack in the wall

2 minutes ago, 178Jax said:

Run cmd in admin, then ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew.

If that doesn't work, try downloading the latest driver for the device from another computer then put it on a thumb drive and dump it on his computer, then install it. 

Also have any of the basics been checked out? (rebooting router? checking to see if other devices have internet in his home?)

He has restarted PC sometimes same for router, how would I put drivers on a thumb stick without the computer since we don't have another one available, will try the ip thing

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Different cable I don't think is available port on router well idk how that would go since as mentioned he uses the ethernet jack in the wall

Is this a house? Can you trace where the wall jack goes to at the router? Can you even physically access the router?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

if you have an android device like a smart phone or tablet you can dump the installer from that onto the computer via a usb cable. Also you have not stated the result of the ipconifg /release & /renew....

You stated he plugs into a wall jack, who is providing the internet service? Is it his own? Is it at school? work?

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Is this a house? Can you trace where the wall jack goes to at the router? Can you even physically access the router?

It's an apartment and he can access the router but not the wiring to the jack

3 minutes ago, 178Jax said:

if you have an android device like a smart phone or tablet you can dump the installer from that onto the computer via a usb cable. Also you have not stated the result of the ipconifg /release & /renew....

You stated he plugs into a wall jack, who is providing the internet service? Is it his own? Is it at school? work?

The result was he could not do the release up thing and the renew thing just said Windows IP Configuration, the wifi is his own he is paying for it and yes he did pay for it

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

apartment

Time to get the apt manager involved, if you can move the computer to another jack in another apt, and try it, this will determine if it's isolated to the PC, or the walljack/wiring is bad

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Time to get the apt manager involved, if you can move the computer to another jack in another apt, and try it, this will determine if it's isolated to the PC, or the walljack/wiring is bad

Could it really have gone bad over like 2 days?

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Could it really have gone bad over like 2 days?

Was it just built/installed 2 days ago?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Was it just built/installed 2 days ago?

no but it last worked 2 days ago 

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

no but it last worked 2 days ago 

So we don't know when it was installed. Could have been years ago. A mouse or bug might have nibbled on it. Hard to say without networking/wiring testing gear (that's very very expensive) or moving the system to another jack and testing. It could be his NIC suddenly gone bad, but without a known good NIC or wall-jack, we won't really know for certain.

Are the lights on the NIC on with the network cable plugged in?

So we don't know when it was installed. Could have been years ago. A mouse or bug might have nibbled on it. Hard to say without networking/wiring testing gear (that's very very expensive) or moving the system to another jack and testing. It could be his NIC suddenly gone bad, but without a known good NIC or wall-jack, we won't really know for certain.

Are the lights on the NIC on with the network cable plugged in?

It's all normal the PC is the only spot it doesn't work, but he will call the ISP and apartment people and see if anything can be done there because that's probably the best

Reminder⚠️

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

It's all normal the PC is the only spot it doesn't work, but he will call the ISP and apartment people and see if anything can be done there because that's probably the best

Keep us in the loop so we know the outcome please

Keep us in the loop so we know the outcome please

Yeah you can follow the post and I will try to update when we get more info

Reminder⚠️

Updates my brother talked with the ISP they said to restart after they did something now the wireless won't even work so yeah

Reminder⚠️

18 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Have them open CMD and run ipconfig, then report the IP address and default gateway they see under the ethernet adapter section.

Or better yet, post a screenshot if you can.

Well I can't do that right now since I'm not there and the screenshot thing will be even harder without internet

Reminder⚠️