RGB Fan without a Controller

mattvm98

I have one Corsair SP120 RGB Pro fan and a MSI MAG B550m mortar Wifi motherboard.

The motherboard has a 5v RGB port and a 12v RGB port. It appears these ports are intended for RGB strips and not fans. Can I plug in the RGB cable from the Corsair fan into the RGB header on this motherboard? Or do I have no choice but to get the controller. 

If I can just plug it right into the motherboard then which direction? There is no indication.

Also I do not care if I cannot customize the lighting. If I can great otherwise not the end of the world.

You would need a controller. The Corsair fan you have is designed to work with Corsairs proprietary Lighting Node and ICue Software.

9 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

You would need a controller. The Corsair fan you have is designed to work with Corsairs proprietary Lighting Node and ICue Software.

I really am only trying to give power to the lights so they turn on. Are you telling me I need to buy $80 worth of controllers to do that and I cannot just plug it into power?

24 minutes ago, mattvm98 said:

It appears these ports are intended for RGB strips and not fans

Not true, all rgb devices can use that connection.

25 minutes ago, mattvm98 said:

Can I plug in the RGB cable from the Corsair fan into the RGB header on this motherboard?

Yeah no problem. Make sure it's 5v (3pins) or 12v (4pins) put it in the right connector.

The problem is you might need a hub for more than 1 fans.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Not true, all rgb devices can use that connection.

Yeah no problem. Make sure it's 5v (3pins) or 12v (4pins) put it in the right connector.

The problem is you might need a hub for more than 1 fans.

Great thank you for the help. The only issue is going to be figuring out which direction to plug the header in. Motherboard is 3 pins a 12 4 layout and the RBG cable from the fan is 4 pins. I know what each pin does on the motherboard just need to determine what they do on the fan.

45 minutes ago, mattvm98 said:

Great thank you for the help. The only issue is going to be figuring out which direction to plug the header in. Motherboard is 3 pins a 12 4 layout and the RBG cable from the fan is 4 pins. I know what each pin does on the motherboard just need to determine what they do on the fan.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motherboard-Standard-ARGB-3-pin-5V-to-Corsair-RGB-Fan-Adapter/143882360731?hash=item21800e979b:g:E~EAAOSwc-df0sFw

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, mattvm98 said:

What does this even do? Seems pretty useless.

it hooks one corsair fan to mb 3pin argb header like you asked

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links