GPU shuts off when case side panel is installed

harrisontaylor

Hey everybody, I recently swapped my case for an older Dell case as I wanted to convert my build into a sleeper PC. Everything seems to work fine except for the fact that when I attempt to install the side panel the monitor goes black and the GPU fans start running at full speed. If I leave the side panel off the case I can use my PC without problems, but as soon as I install it the GPU shuts off. I guess what I'm wondering is,

What do you think could be causing this issue? Is it possible that this issue could be caused due to the GPU shorting out against the case, and when the side panel is installed it triggers the short? I have 2 case fans installed including the CPU heatsink fan and the temperatures are all within tolerance.

My specs are,

Intel i7 10700k

Asrock B460M Pro4

32 GB Samsung 2933 MHz DDR4 RAM

EVGA RTX 2070 Super

EVGA 70 GQ 80PLUS GOLD

Western Digital 1 TB M2

I've attached a video of the issue below,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9HvbE0DQY

that is.... quite a bizzare problem.

I do know that a very old school problem could sometimes occur long ago back in the day..... where a motherboard needed to have cardboard insulators under the standoffs to function. Basically isolating the boards ground from the case itself.

I'm 100% guessing but maybe the door is steel and the rest is an alloy and the case door is completing a grounding circuit of some type?

maybe unplug the front panel connections and see if it still does it as the front buttons could be weird with how they function

32 minutes ago, emosun said:

that is.... quite a bizzare problem.

I do know that a very old school problem could sometimes occur long ago back in the day..... where a motherboard needed to have cardboard insulators under the standoffs to function. Basically isolating the boards ground from the case itself.

I'm 100% guessing but maybe the door is steel and the rest is an alloy and the case door is completing a grounding circuit of some type?

maybe unplug the front panel connections and see if it still does it as the front buttons could be weird with how they function

Just tried installing the side panel with the front panel connections removed... still shuts down when the side panel is installed.

The panel itself is steel like the case so I guess something is grounding out, I tried placing the exposed side of my PC against a wall to block the airflow in an attempt to see if the issue was caused by overheating, but it still worked

It's shorting on the panel or the panel is distorting the power connection. You need to have clearance between the panel and the gpu/cables. 

10 hours ago, Heliian said:

It's shorting on the panel or the panel is distorting the power connection. You need to have clearance between the panel and the gpu/cables. 

The GPU and cables don't seem to be coming into any sort of physical contact with the side panel when its installed. What's even weirder is that if I try to power on the computer with the side panel installed it actually boots normally, but when I try to install/uninstall the side panel the GPU shuts off again.