Can't find a router that will connect to my isp provided cable.

Takt1kal
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
3 hours ago, knockless said:

can't find a router, the cable is "SC-UPC" and it looks like this: 

You wont find one. I know of NO consumer grade options that will include support for Fiber internet. Some times you get lucky and your ISP uses a separate optical converter and then you can use any router. Some times you get unlucky and your ISP uses a shit combo unit and you have to find a work around. Generally that work around is bridge mode, essential turning the box in to an optical converter and then you would just connect a standard router to that box. In some other cases you might have a "Pass thru" mode that kinda does something similar. 

I can't find a router, the cable is "SC-UPC" and it looks like this: image.png.943029dcdd8860319249cdd7fb582d55.png My current ISP router says GPON, and idk what it means. I looked at my ISP's website (Hathway broadband) and found no router suggestions. I looked for "GPON router" and "SC-UPC router" and found nothing, only routers that support WAN. My current router (given for free by ISP) is a ZTE F660.

Thanks.

Call your isp and see what they suggest. Many providers do encryption or similar so you can't use your own modem at all. Id just use your current modem/ont in bridge mode and connect your router to the lan ports on it.

But if you really want, you want a gpon ont/transciver. Here is a example https://www.fs.com/products/64169.html. But really you gotta know what exactly your isp is going here. Then you can put that sfp module int a rotuer like this guy https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1139739-REG/ubiquiti_networks_er_x_sfp_edgerouter_x_6_port_poe_sfp.html?ap=y&smp=y

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Call your isp and see what they suggest. Many providers do encryption or similar so you can't use your own modem at all. Id just use your current modem/ont in bridge mode and connect your router to the lan ports on it.

But if you really want, you want a gpon ont/transciver. Here is a example https://www.fs.com/products/64169.html. But really you gotta know what exactly your isp is going here. Then you can put that sfp module int a rotuer like this guy https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1139739-REG/ubiquiti_networks_er_x_sfp_edgerouter_x_6_port_poe_sfp.html?ap=y&smp=y

Thanks for the response,

I tried calling them before, they just said to "buy a new router" and that they can't give any suggestions. Bridge mode is not an option for me because I don't own a desktop PC, and my laptop has no lan port. Will it be okay if I get another router and use wired AP mode in it? Will it increase my latency? because my current router's coverage is not enough for me and my ISP says they only provide better routers for higher speed plans. It can go from 99% (near the router) to 40% in another room. 

2 hours ago, knockless said:

ridge mode is not an option for me because I don't own a desktop PC

Huh, it doesn't work that way. Using bridge ode will work fine here.

Just setup your router in bridge mode and you will have better wifi.

3 hours ago, knockless said:

can't find a router, the cable is "SC-UPC" and it looks like this: 

You wont find one. I know of NO consumer grade options that will include support for Fiber internet. Some times you get lucky and your ISP uses a separate optical converter and then you can use any router. Some times you get unlucky and your ISP uses a shit combo unit and you have to find a work around. Generally that work around is bridge mode, essential turning the box in to an optical converter and then you would just connect a standard router to that box. In some other cases you might have a "Pass thru" mode that kinda does something similar. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.