Slow download speeds

Emmettm

Hello! I built my first pc a few months ago, and its been working pretty well so far. However, my download speed for things like installing new software often seem slower than it should. I normally get below 3Mbps, and occasionally even lower than 1.

At the moment my internet download speed is just over 20 Mbps. My storage is a 512Gb SSD with a SATA 6Gb/s port and a 1Tb HDD also with a SATA 6Gb/s port. I have an AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, 32 Gb RAM, an A320M-K motherboard, an RX580 graphics card (although I can't see how the graphics card could have anything to do with it), and I'm running Win 10.

Are these speeds normal? If not, do you have any help for how to speed it up? Thank you!!

Is it possible you're looking at MB and Mb?

Speedtest.net for example reports speeds in Mb, which stands for Megabit, while Steam reports speeds in MB, which stands for Megabyte.

8 Megabits = 1 Megabyte

Or in your case, 20 Megabits = 2.5 Megabytes

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

With a 20 megabit internet connection you should be getting about 2.5-3megabytes/sec usually.  Basic practice divide your megabits by 8, 20 / 8 = 2.5.

Yep, that explains it 😂. So I just have two more questions... First, when my download speed drops below 1 MB/s is that just standard fluctuation, and it’s that low because of the relatively low starting point of ~2.5 MB/s? Also, when I hear of people having over double my speed, that would just be because they have a faster internet connection, right? Thank you!

11 hours ago, Emmettm said:

Yep, that explains it 😂. So I just have two more questions... First, when my download speed drops below 1 MB/s is that just standard fluctuation, and it’s that low because of the relatively low starting point of ~2.5 MB/s? Also, when I hear of people having over double my speed, that would just be because they have a faster internet connection, right? Thank you!

1) Speed drops can be caused by many things, most commonly it can be that another app is downloading something at the same time, or another device in your network (phone with youtube for example).

2) Since it looks like you are hitting your max paid speeds, then probably yes, they have faster internet.