Why do people still buy Gaming Laptops, knowing they will inevitable run into heat, throttleling or sound issues ?

I cant really get my head around the issue why people still choose to buy a gaming laptop.

As the title says, they will run into issue along their gaming experience, and start complaining about the manufacturer.

Its pretty well known to the whole community that packing a high end graphics card and a high end cpu in a small form factor with little to no airflow will result in horrible outcomes,

so even knowing this why do people still choose to buy them ?

Because if you need to move your computer regularly or use it somewhere there isn't space for a desktop then they are the only sensible option.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Because if you need to move your computer regularly or use it somewhere there isn't space for a desktop then they are the only sensible option.

does this justify the problems that come with it though ?

3 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

I cant really get my head around the issue why people still choose to buy a gaming laptop.

As the title says, they will run into issue along their gaming experience, and start complaining about the manufacturer.

Its pretty well known to the whole community that packing a high end graphics card and a high end cpu in a small form factor with little to no airflow will result in horrible outcomes,

so even knowing this why do people still choose to buy them ?

portablity

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

1 minute ago, Haraikomono said:

Well yes, because the alternative is a thin/light laptop, which is even worse for airflow and heat.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

How else am I going to take a pc on the go?

Because marketing and people are stupid. I don't get why people buy them either. If you need portable power, just get a SFF desktop or proper workstation laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

if Portability is an extreme issue for people to go the lenght and spend 2000+ for a decent gaming laptop,

why not just use then Cloud gaming services on a somewhat decent office laptop ?

Just now, Haraikomono said:

if Portability is an extreme issue for people to go the lenght and spend 2000+ for a decent gaming laptop,

why not just use then Cloud gaming services on a somewhat decent office laptop ?

What if I want to use my laptop while travelling? Wifi on trains/planes is absolutely not suitable for cloud streaming.

pythonmegapixel

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Because marketing and people are stupid. I don't get why people buy them either. If you need portable power, just get a SFF desktop or proper workstation laptop.

Depends tho. Some of them are well made but they are few and far between. Really is a case of looking for the one good one in an ocean of mediocre to crap stuff.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Depends tho. Some of them are well made but they are few and far between. Really is a case of looking for the one good one in an ocean of mediocre to crap stuff.

Almost everyone buys the mediocre crap that's around a thousand bucks, that's the problem. And even the more expensive devices are still pretty shit.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Almost everyone buys the mediocre crap that's around a thousand bucks, that's the problem. And even the more expensive devices are still pretty shit.

Yeah that is where they go wrong. There are pretty much at most one handful of decent-good devices at that price and that is it. Those devices usually are the low spec versions of good 1400+ laptops like the current legion 5, the ryzen hp omen,...

totally agree on that,

even some developer collegeaus of mine still go for off the shelf laptops at electronic shops, because their design spoke to them...

Either theres witchcraft involved in the Marketing of these products, or people just dont care about what theyre buying

Not everyone can afford to spend more than $1000 on their computer though.

pythonmegapixel

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Not everyone can afford to spend more than $1000 on their computer though.

thats another point, not so much for this thread, but in all seriousness for the work people do on their 1000+ or 2000+ $ laptops, they could have gone with a 300$ laptop and still have the same experience overall

thats another point, not so much for this thread, but in all seriousness for the work people do on their 1000+ or 2000+ $ laptops, they could have gone with a 300$ laptop and still have the same experience overall

300$ is too low that is celeron territory most of the time and low quality stuff 500$ is pretty neat spot to be.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

300$ is too low that is celeron territory most of the time and low quality stuff 500$ is pretty neat spot to be.

500$ will buy you a Ryzen 5 laptop with a pretty decent iGPU, 8 gigs of RAM and a half-terabyte SSD. More than enough for most everyday tasks and it'll even cope with some light to moderate gaming if you don't mind turning the settings down.

pythonmegapixel

For me, it comes down to a few factors. Firstly, and arguably most importantly... I think they're neat. The idea that I could get double the performance versus the xbox ecosystem I had been in for at least 17 years AND be able to take it with me to class, on vacation with no hassle is just really cool to me. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely to game and work primarily on a monster desktop setup, but at the time, it made more sense to get a laptop that was in the middle of the two. I should mention, the purchase of my laptop (Asus ROG GA502DU) was the first PC I'd ever bought, and the first PC that was truly mine. I grew up in a family that had a 2011 iMac positioned in a way that it was only comfortable to use for about 30 or so minutes. My parents were reeeeal weird about moving it to a different spot, even for me to work on homework assignments that required more than a half hour of work. Back to laptops though, I'm actually starting to get into the heat issue of my "rig." My temps get pretty dang high when gaming for extended sessions (max of 106°C on AMD Ryzen 7 3750H) and I'll be repasting the CPU and GPU tomorrow for the first time to hopefully get some better heat dissipation. 

If you need to do presentation in class (without any PC), would you want to borrow friend's laptop or bring your whole desktop PC setup to class?

As a student I have no choice but to buy laptop. You think I don't want to have desktop?

There are some laptop models with better thermals than others.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, genexis_x said:

If you need to do presentation in class (without any PC), would you want to borrow friend's laptop or bring your whole desktop PC setup to class?

As a student I have no choice but to buy laptop. You think I don't want to have desktop?

To be fair, if presentations are your only use case then the obvious solution is to use something like Google Drive and then you can just open the presentation on the device already present in the room.

pythonmegapixel

5 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

To be fair, if presentations are your only use case then the obvious solution is to use something like Google Drive and then you can just open the presentation on the device already present in the room.

that's why i said 'without any PC'...

or a better example, our lecturers require us to bring laptop to class (since there is no PC at the class venue) in order to use programming apps...what to do if you don't have your own laptop?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

that's why i said 'without any PC'..

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought it was fairly standard for meeting/lecture rooms to already have some kind of computer installed

2 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

or a better example, our lecturers require us to bring laptop to class (since there is no PC at the class venue) in order to use programming apps...what to do if you don't have your own laptop?

The point is, none of these are use cases for which you really need high end components. I guess if you're doing 3D game development you might but other than that, no,

Gaming laptops have their place, but there's no point buying them unless you absolutely need them.

pythonmegapixel

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought it was fairly standard for meeting/lecture rooms to already have some kind of computer installed

Nah it's fine. Just to let you know that our lecture rooms/halls don't have PCs for students.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The point is, none of these are use cases for which you really need high end components. I guess if you're doing 3D game development you might but other than that, no,

Problem is I often game. With the budget I have, there's no way I can get desktop+laptop. So have to settle down with gaming laptop which serves my purposes.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Alright, I use high end gaming laptops for a few reasons.  

1: It's very portable compared to any desktop setups.  Especially for someone like me who flies to work, then works on the road for 3 weeks, then flies home.

2: Cloud gaming is not capable with my job.  I don't have internet everyday out here.

3: I don't buy for looks.  I buy for components within.  Nor do I worry about trying to overclock on them.  

On a side note, I buy a new laptop about once every 5 years or so.  And I usually have a budget between $2000-4000 USD.  Also I usually buy custom built.  Not big into the gamer asthetics.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

On 4/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, genexis_x said:

I actually had 5 years where I honestly was really glad I had a laptop and didn't want a desktop as my main system (still has a spare hp z620 that was a rendering rig but that was remote access only pretty much).

If you need to be mobile all the time for whatever reason having a laptop is great. Even better if it can do everything you want whilst you need to get one anyways.